What would you do with excess BU circulating coinage?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Seattlite86, Feb 23, 2019.

1. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Hey Everyone,
    What do you Folks do with excess BU World coins that are spendable/circulating? I bought these Dansco binders, with the euros in them for exchange value. Great deals. The problem is, I want to use the excess/doubled binders for the other EU countries and need to evict the ones inside. The idea is getting them to collector’s hands instead of back in circulation. The major hurdle is I have no interest in selling things one by one, as I can spend them and get my money back. Would you recommend just spending them? What would you do, or do you do? Also, I’m in Europe, so I can’t take them to my LCS, as hey would just spend them.

C426DEAD-C2E2-4E20-81D8-FC4C0FB106C9.jpeg 558D0492-8F0F-48A1-AB38-6AFB16268C61.jpeg 3EF6450B-5BF2-40B4-B608-0813982FDC68.jpeg 384ADC7D-4996-4B3F-90F5-14282A3FCAAB.jpeg BBB88ED8-049F-4137-A190-3E3B4AA65199.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Amos 811

Amos 811 DisMember

I am not sure about foreign coins, however a few years ago, I would pull BU cents from CRH, and tried a few time to sell some bulk on ebay (for face value plus shipping) to no avail.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

For foreign coins, I keep everything since there really is no market for them here unless they are sold in bulk. Even then I would probably not get much for them.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  5. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

Unless there's a market, I'd just keep the gemmy ones and spend the rest.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  6. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Those can't have much collector value where you are, right? I assembled an entire set of BU German Euro coinage from change when I was in Munich last summer.

If I were you, I'd spend them on coins you don't have.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  7. whopper64

whopper64 Well-Known Member

The 10 year German "State" collection of 2 euros may be worth something eventually if you have all the mints and years, but even then, only minimally over face value.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  8. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

If you have no interest in keeping them you can try and find someone to trade with or who would buy the entire group which would likely be someone from the USA. Other than that you're probably just going to have to spend them

Seattlite86 likes this.
  9. harley bissell

harley bissell Well-Known Member

Your albums cost between $20 US AND $30 US alone but you said that you want to keep them. You have two options. Offer the individual countries for sale on ebay OR you could offer the complete set of unwanted coins to a LCS for a premium against your purchases. I always ask for two offers. Store credit and cash. Usually I'm offered more for store credit. If not I take the cash offer and walk.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  10. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Is there a local coin club? Clubs sell donations in their auctions to fund activities. Also might know a YN who would love some less common coins to get started.

juris klavins and Seattlite86 like this.
  11. Seattlite86

12. Seattlite86

Thanks for the input. Looks like I'll keep any cool toned ones that are duplicates, but the rest will get sent to the bank.

Amos 811 likes this.
  13. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

Good idea - why not donate the whole lot to a local coin club with young members?
    I'm sure they would enjoy having modern coinage from neighboring nations.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  14. Seattlite86

I do like the idea, but the closest coin club I was able to find is a 45 minute drive away.

Draft saved Draft deleted