What would you do with $25K?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by LawnMower202, Apr 26, 2015.

1. LawnMower202

LawnMower202 New Member

Hiya all. You guys were exceedingly helpful answering my noob questions about a St. Gaudens piece I inherited. FWIW, I've decided to keep it for now, so it's in the SDB.

Now here's another question I'd like to throw out there for discussion: Suppose someone handed you $25K and said do what you want, as long as it's an investment of some sort. (i.e. you're not gonna buy a fancy Kia with it.)

You could go get a few shares of, say, Lockheed Martin, and hope their fusion project isn't smoke & mirrors, but that's not particularly interesting nor is it any sort of conversation piece. But what about investing in one or more potentially valuable coins? Not only is there investment potential (and potential loss, too, I know), but it's something interesting to look at, talk about, and show to people.

Thus the question... You have $25K you weren't counting on, and would like to put it to good use. What would you acquire (and where/how)? One whopper? Five semi-whoppers? Thousands of rolls of wheat pennies? What?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I'm working on an XF Type Set so I would purchase some of the early KM #s. I could probably get as many of the Draped Bust Silver Coins I could with that price and accept that if this were my purchase, I'd be sleeping on the couch for weeks. :)

4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

You'd be sleeping in the dog house.........

Seattlite86 likes this.
  5. harris498

harris498 Accumulator

I think I would buy a sweet Pattern coin.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  6. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I guess I have to be the first to say it: dump it all in a nice index fund.

Mojavedave and yakpoo like this.
  7. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

We all have different answers I am sure.
    I would consider using it for down payment on another rental or maybe spend about 20K on 1000 shares each of NLY and TWO stock. I have owned NLY for several years and they averaged about 10% Dividend per year. I would take he remainder and buy the best 1955/55 DDO lincoln I could get.No big bullion buys.

MKent and -jeffB like this.
  8. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I'd bide my time, trying to not let the money burn a hole in my pocket, and only buy truly scarce coins, doing so opportunistically.

The money will last longer, allowing you more time to enjoy each purchase before the next.

You'll also have more time to ponder your purchases and mistakes made, so as to better learn lessons that so many never would before burning through that amount of money.

coinman1234 likes this.
  9. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I always wanted to ask DG . . . What is that blue colored stone in your avatar?

10. Soapy Smith

Soapy Smith New Member

$2,500 goes to Coins (10% of the amount). - This is the "fun money" portion of the amount.

The rest ($22,500) gets split up in the following manner:

35% Large Cap Stocks
    10% Small Cap Stocks
    15% International Stocks
    35% Fixed Income Instruments (bonds, CD's, etc.)
    5% Cash (for when you find some magic beans you must invest in)

I prefer growth and income stocks in those categories. If you can't afford stocks, then low fee index funds in those categories.

11. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

FYI, my answer is completely different if you want to know what I'd actually do with the money. I'd invest it in stock and/or use it as part of a down payment for a nice home.

12. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Invest in coins? I'd have a better chance of gaining a seat at the final table of the WSOP or one of the WPT events.

Chris

Seattlite86 likes this.
  13. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

I would but A) that darn 1930 Aussie penny that I will never be able to afford. and B) probably into stocks and bonds, diversify and then some savings on top of that.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  14. rockyyaknow

rockyyaknow Well-Known Member

A large portion would go straight to student loans unfortunately. Would maybe buy a St. Gaudens with some of it.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  15. Bill1517

Bill1517 Active Member

16. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Depends a lot on whether that represents a year's income or a month's income, but I'm mostly with @desertgem.

Seattlite86 and harris498 like this.
  17. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I would use it as a down payment on another rental property or two. The rental income would pay for some nice coins for years to come.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  18. onecenter

onecenter Member

I would use it as part of the downpayment on a home which I am currently in the market for at the moment. In that way I can keep right on buying my coin and stamp goodies without interruption.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  19. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

That would be a very wise use of the money.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  20. loopytoad74

loopytoad74 Active Member

First.buy my son a new car..second I would use whatever change is left over and convert it all into pennies,lock myself away until all my Whitman folders are complete and then I would start all over again.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  21. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP Supporter

If I was given that I'd honestly put it into a new house. If I HAD to invest it in something else I wouldn't send any of it to the stock market. My monthly offering to that racket is already more than enough.
    I'd probably buy some high grade old gold with it. Would love an 1839-O $2.5. Maybe a couple classic heads in high grade. Some Indians. Welp, money's gone. :)

Seattlite86 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted