What would you do in this situation?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Pilkenton, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Pilkenton

Pilkenton almost uncirculated

Ok. There's a coin shop you don't like. It's over-priced. The owners and employees are rude. They treat you like you don't know anything and they know everything. They never give you a deal. They won't bargain. You never had an altercation with them, but you haven't been to their shop in years because of the way they are. Every coin collector has a shop like this.

You rent a table at a local coin show. The owner to this above stated shop comes in. He doesn't recognize you. He wants to buy a few things of yours at the price you are asking. The owner is nice. He's respectful to you. He's not the way he is when you go to his store.

How would you handle this situation?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

He's willing to pay your asking price? With a smile and a thank you, take his money and give him the goods. Exchange only pleasantries, say nothing about his past behavior.

4. ace71499

ace71499 Young Numismatic

I would sell the coins and move on.

Chiefbullsit, Kentucky and spirityoda like this.
  5. coingeek12

coingeek12 Well-Known Member

I don't.... then again, I am only 14, have only gone to two coin shops, and one coin show...

I would gladly sell him the goods. And possibly check his shop out again in a couple weeks..

6. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Did you rent the table for business or pleasure? Unless the latter and you wish to make a mountain out of a molehill, the answer should be obvious.

Kentucky likes this.
  7. I would treat him like you would treat anyone else. It will be much better for your health. :)

8. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Re-examine why you wanted a deal from him when he didn't ask that of you.

spirityoda likes this.
  9. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

just another day at the office

10. Blaubart

Blaubart Melt Value = 4.50

Lead by example. Display the behavior and attitude that you wish to see from others.

...and that's a pretty good point too.

definer likes this.
  11. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Wise beyond your years!

12. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I would sell him the coins and move on.

13. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Like others have said, the two things have nothing in common. I have sold things to people I would never buy from, and vice versa. I do not really understand why there would be any hesitation to sell to someone regardless of whether you wish to buy from him or not. Unless when buying from him he has cheated or lied to you, I simply see no connection.

14. Gnomey

Gnomey Active Member

Speaking from personal experience with a supreme jerk coin shop owner in my city, I would find it hard to take the high-road for high-road's sake, but for money...have a coke and a smile.

15. josh's coins

josh's coins Well-Known Member

I may not be a big fan of littleton coin company but that does not mean I won't do business with them. I sold them a complete set of Mercury Dimes at greysheet ask last year.

16. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

Like others said, I'd be polite and helpful to him. Thats probably his normal self, as a buyer. At his shop he probably deals all day with people not like us, people who don't have a clue, people looking to score a big deal, people who think they know what they are doing/talking about, but who do not. Thats why he's probably the way he is at work, the same way any one of us would be after 9 or 10 hours six days a week.

17. Argenteus Fossil

Argenteus Fossil Active Member

I always visit a "local" coin store when I travel. It's neat to me to see what others have in different parts of the country. Keep in mind I am a younger guy (23) and look even younger (16 or so I've been told more times than I'd like :().

This one store I went in the guy was a royal A... He kept bragging about how good his stuff was and how much better he was at coin collecting. Not how much better his collection was, but rather that he is better than everybody else at knowing which coins are "better" to buy. I asked to see one specific coin he kept bragging of having in the store only to get denied because "it's expensive". I walked out of his store in the middle of his next sentence. I'd like nothing more than to take his money and make a profit.

18. coingeek12

coingeek12 Well-Known Member

And when he is about to buy it, say that you wrote the price wrong and price it 20% more than what was the original price. :p

Argenteus Fossil likes this.
  19. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

You are evil....I like that.

Gnomey likes this.
  20. texmech

texmech Wanna be coin collector

My brick and mortar store owner is like that as well. This may give you and opportunity next time you visit his store and bring up that prior coin show encounter. Who knows that may break the ice a little and give him something in common with you.

Kentucky and spirityoda like this.
  21. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I only have 1 coin shop in my city of St. George, Utah. the owner is great to deal with. his mother is rude if you do not buy something. the other sales lady is as nice as they get. I mostly go in to buy supplies. yes 1/4 their coins are over priced but remember they are in business to make money. It would not hurt for you to tell them you have been collecting coins for X amount of years to let them/him know that you know something about the coins you are looking to buy. that way he/they will better know how to deal with you. If you are selling coins...be as nice as you can be because you will sell many more coins being nice than being mean. :blackalien:

Draft saved Draft deleted