What would you do - eBay

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ddddd, Mar 16, 2021.

1. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

I am a big fan of lowball offers when the listing is outrageously high.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

I agree, there are a ton of idiots selling on ebay. Personally I hate sellers like that and I just move onward to the next coin. Life's too short! :D

4. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Why?

You're just wasting your time for no reason

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
    Beefer518 likes this.
  5. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

I put in a realistic, genuine offer. If they take it, they take it. I only do it if I genuinely want the coin but I want the seller to realize that they need to throw a realistic price. It's a subtle enough insult but it is a genuine offer.

Jaelus likes this.
  6. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

There's nothing genuine about lowball offers and youre just shooting yourself in the foot doing exactly the opposite of what you are hoping to accomplish.

Messaging with histories would be a way to maybe get it lower. Low ball is how you just get blocked

7. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

I mostly do auctions %85 of the time and get an even better deal than a BIN or OBO for my collection.

MIGuy likes this.
  8. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

Personally, I'm not a fan of making offers on eBay. Most of the time, as many of you already know, most sellers are quite obstinate when it comes to the price. However, in my opinion, a lowball offer is perfectly warranted for items that have languished in a seller's inventory for months, like this obsolete banknote. Overall, I ended up paying 55% of the seller's original price.

1857 $5 Exchange Bank of Murfreesboro TN Obverse.jpg 1857 $5 Exchange Bank of Murfreesboro TN Reverse.jpg

MIGuy and potty dollar 1878 like this.
  9. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

10. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

I see the term “lowball” used a lot. Why isn’t “highball” ever used? That describes most of the eBay listings I see.

11. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

$5 dollars not being accepted is crazy from the asking price. He should have accepted your offer. I have had great luck with offers, but I make a good offer not an insulting 1.

MIGuy likes this.
  12. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I have done this myself, more than once.

13. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

@ddddd
    I don't buy from international sellers, not even Candia, it's just one of those things.
    I did break my own rule in November and ordered something I wanted before Christmas. It arrived after Valentine's day but before St. Patrick's day.
    To quote Roberto Duran "No mas"

14. Vertigo

Vertigo Did someone say bust?

For whatever the reason the seller wants 70. Perhaps that's what it'll take to get him off of it so he makes money. I have a coin in currently selling asking 125. I have been offered 110 by 3 people. I had another coin i was selling, same deal and with 3 counter offers out for 95 along comes a bidder who bid the asking 100. That guy wants 70. If you don't pay it someone eventually will. That Morgan I'm selling isn't burning a hole in my safe if you know what I mean. It's a nice Morgan with cac. I'll get my 125 if I wait long enough. That guy will get his 70.

Evan Saltis likes this.
  15. ddddd

ddddd Member

I understand the hesitation. Sometimes it’s easier to skip international sellers but other times you have little choice (particularly with some of the items I collect). Plus I’ve had good transactions before with international sellers.

16. ddddd

ddddd Member

It all depends on a number of factors. As mentioned earlier, if it’s a newly listed item, there is more reason for a seller to wait it out and not jump at the first offer. Also, if you have a more popular item, I can see holding out.

On the other hand, if you’re going to wait for full price, why not just remove the offer option? Are you betting someone will capitulate and buy it after having their offer declined? I’d bet you will generally annoy more buyers and end up losing more sales in the long run. And is that worth it for an extra $5-$10 from the one sale?

17. Penny Luster

Penny Luster Well-Known Member

10% less than asking, or $63.

18. rte

rte Well-Known Member

Offer $60 again and ask the seller where they NEED to be?

19. Vertigo

Vertigo Did someone say bust?

I've actually been offered more than my starting price. It was a coin that really wasn't worth that offer. But it happened once. It was a toned Morgan and not really attractively. I was offered 125. My starting bid was 89.99. I'll leave it on all day. But usually I'll ignore an offer instead of straight declining. I just let them expire usually. And I keep it the minimum offer high enough I don't get bothered with noob bid notifications.

20. ddddd

ddddd Member

Was that an auction with best offer? That is a different case. There you might see bids take it beyond the starting price. A potential buyer has reason to offer over the starting price to prevent a bidding war.

If you have a buy it now listing, there is no reason to offer more since you can just click buy it now at the listing price. I've never seen someone offer over the listing price on a buy it now outside of one or two scammers with no feedback (where it was obvious to see they did not intend to pay and were just messing with the listing).

In general, if you are thinking you will get offers over the starting price, that is a model that will not bring much success.

Draft saved Draft deleted