What would you call this?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Paddy54, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

1938 In God 116.jpg 1938 IGWT 2 116.jpg 1938 IGWT 3 116.jpg

Would you consider this MD? Or split?
    1938 Pluribus 1 116.jpg 1938 Pluribus 2 116.jpg.jpg
    How about the lettering here? can you tell any differences? as the Lettering seen is from two different Jefferson nickles,the same date. Both Proof coins both graded Pr. 67

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
    Hommer likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

looks like a worn die and/or gunk starting to fill in the devices...

4. Paddy54

Good reply but not correct .....

Insider likes this.
  5. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Maybe ejection doubling?

6. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I've seen that on a Morgan before (the look of PLURIBUS), and would really like to know what it is. :)

Suppose it could be a form of MD, with the die pushing a ridge of metal before it when it moved.

7. Paddy54

I will post a link to the best explanation of what is being seen here after a few more replies . I find this variety very interesting......why it's not MD. It's man made.

8. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

I am positive that I'd call them nickels.

Did I win?

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  9. Paddy54

As a Jefferson nickel collector I can tell you there are quite a few varieties , Both in MS and Proof strikes.
    The coin in question is an 1938 proof Jefferson . What make this so interesting is the fact it has extra serifs compared to the other proofs minted that year.
    Now we all know Felix Schlag who designed the Jefferson nickel and won the award for the new design . His design was changed from the intended from an Art Deco design to what we know as the Jefferson .
    Schlag was promised 150 proof nickels out of the mintage of 19,365. He wanted the nickels to give to family and close friends in a numbered ,Autographed plaque .
    He had a hard time obtaining the 150 nickels he wanted to
    make his plaques .
    Having owned one of these plaques at one time I wonder if all the 150 proof nickels used are of the original proofs or do some of these plaques do indeed have one of the extra serif coins as pictured above. As that would make these even more valuable .
    The coin pictured is an 1938 Proof Jefferson with extra serif. Hand carved by someone at the mint.......more to come dog needs to go.......... :)

10. Paddy54

Out of 500 competing artist Schlag won the National Competition for a new 5 cent coin April 20 1938.
    Shortly after he was told by the mint that the winning design had to be redesigned .
    He made up the souvenir plaques that showed his original design in the upper right corner . Dead center was the new 1938 Proof coin. Each was signed by Schlag hand numbered and signed and sealed by a notary.
    As I stated before he was promised 150 proof nickels to make up these plaques . He ended up short as the mint did not hold up to the 150 nickels promised .

The nickel posted was retooled at the mint by a worker. A working die pair were hand carved to the lettering you see in my images. Now with only 19,365 nickels minted what percent were produced by the reworked dies?
    Having the extra serifs on the obv.and rev.?
    Could any have been used by Schlag unknowingly to produce his souvenir boards? As he had to obtain some of the proofs to make these boards outside the mint.
    And if one or more what value would that place on an already small number of numismatic pieces ?

11. Paddy54

This new variety was first discovered in 2008 if you Google 1938 extra serif you can read the write ups by Potter and others as to how this variety was discovered , and what was finally decided what caused this variety to come about.

Insider likes this.
  12. Paddy54

13. SuperDave

14. Paddy54

Super Dave have a look at this...and I've never made a purchase from Heritage :) there is another on the bay now ngc PR 67 small world..... 20160116_194147.jpg

15. SuperDave

Same coin. Same serial.

16. Paddy54

17. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Why would you say that? What would a coin look like if gunk filled part of the letters?

18. Insider

Based on what? Help me find the flat "shelf" on the letters.

19. Insider

Bingo...retouched die. The "Blobs" are raised so it cannot be something clogging the die. Look how strong and the shape of the engraving on the "U" and "S." Since they go deeper into the recess of the letters in the die, they appear higher on the struck coin.

Paddy54 likes this.
  20. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

I'll be seeing Ken in a couple of weeks .
    Sounds like a good talk piece, at the show ...

Paddy54 likes this.
  21. Insider

Sorry for the extra AND UNNECESSARY wordage. Paddy explained it already. I'll need to read to the bottom FIRST before I add my 5c.

Draft saved Draft deleted