What would you Buy

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Larry G, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Larry G

Larry G Member

If you had five to six hundred dollars to invest in a coin and were interested in 2 ½ dollar quarter eagle gold coins, what would you buy? What grade would you try to get and who would you buy it from ie EBay, Heritage, GC, or local coin dealer, etc.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I'd try to buy a better date coin (key dates do not fit your price range) . . .

In the Libs, there are many dates in XF and AU grades that are a terrific value, some vastly undervalued, as long as you find an appealing coin.

A good example in the Indian series would be the 1914 (Philly) in MS61 (find an attractive one . . . there are lots of lackluster coins in this date that have been submitted numerous times to get into mint state holders). MS63 coins dated 1911, 1913 & 1915 might stretch your budget a bit, but are also very good values at current levels.

dwhiz and swamp yankee like this.
  4. Larry G

Larry G Member

Thanks so much for your input.
    I'm reluctant to purchase something in the XF or even an AU grade. I guess I would rather spend the extra $$$ and get something at ms-63 or above. It seems those grades retain a better value over time. What would you think I would need to invest dollar wise, to get a key date, say in the ms-63 grade.

5. ToughCOINS

In the Libs, a true "Key" date in MS63 would be prohibitively expensive for me, and I routinely spend $1000 - $2000 on a coin. If $500 - $600 gives you pause, I think you're better off buying the least common coins you can find within your comfort zone, than to stretch so far before learning the lessons which inevitably come from your earliest transactions.

A little advice from someone who feels qualified to offer it . . . don't be too eager to invest in something you know little about. It sounds to me like you should have begun learning about quarter eagles some time ago, long before you decided to put a great deal of money into them.

- Mike

6. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

Jwt708 likes this.
  7. Larry G

Larry G Member

Thanks so much geekpryde. Very interesting read. I love the quarter and half eagles. What great coins. My father passed on a 1928 quarter eagle from his collection after he died which I cherish and is why I have the interest in them.
    The quarter eagles also tend to hold their value and don't fluctuate in price due to changing gold bullion prices not to mention that they are just, beautiful coins. I've been watching some of the auctions on HA and GC and many of these coins can be purchased in the five to six hundred dollar range. I'll keep watching and I'm sure I'll find a good buy.

Thanks again

Larry G

8. ToughCOINS

Be careful Larry. Quarter eagles don't necessarily fluctuate with gold, but they do fluctuate, and quite a bit . . . almost all coins do. Fortunately, if you buy some nice quarter eagles at this point in time, you will have saved yourself quite a bit, compared to what you might have paid a year ago, or more.

9. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

I would buy a quarter eagle off ebay, even if it's not slabbed. I've done very well on the bay as there are many reputable sellers on ebay. Of course there are some bad apples too but if you see a questionable coin just stay away from it. You just have to take your time and study the coins, I never buy a coin if I'm not happy with the pics and I try to stay away from scans. Here's one of the best quarter eagle sellers on the bay, you'll have to pay a tad higher than most sellers b/c this seller has quite a following. No Indian Heads for me, I already have one and they just don't seem as rare as the ladies. Personally, I would buy a Gold Liberty quarter eagle dated 1852 to 1857, but that's just b/c that's what I need. good luck however you choose to buy!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/elizabethto..._DefaultDomain_0&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

10. Larry G

Larry G Member

Yes I know exactly what you mean Mike. I know someone who bought 4 gold coins a few years ago, maybe several. He paid about 15k for: two Half Eagles, a 1909 d and 1900, one Eagle Indian Head 10 dollar gold piece 1932, and one Quarter Eagle a 1929, all ms-62's. I recently calculated the value for him and they are now only worth, somewhat less than 3k. Not a great investment (lol) It does seem we are getting to the lows for gold coins however but who knows !!!!! Not me, not you.
    Many of us invest/collect in this hobby because we love it. I for one love the history, the beauty, the satisfaction of completing a set of coins and coins, give me hours and hours of pleasure. I don't necessarily collect coins for the profit of it or to sell my coins. I do hope however that my collection appreciates in value because I've made some smart investments.

Thanks for the input

Larry G

11. Larry G

Larry G Member

E

ebay tends to scar me a bit when getting up in that $500.00 range. I do buy quite a bit from ebay in the lower range however. Also, I'm not a big fan of slabbed coins buy again, in the $500.00 to $600.00 range I feel more comfortable with a slabbed graded coin. Lots to think about buy that's the fun part as well.

thanks for the feed back

Larry G

12. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

Buy a nice PCGS MS63 for about $500

13. Scropper

Scropper Member

That's an interesting question!

I'd probably take some time looking for the best eye appeal problem-free No Motto Classic Head my budget could afford, maybe a '39 O.

14. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Larry as a general rule coins are absolutely terrible investments, there's just too many things that you have to get right to come out on the plus side at the end. Get just 1 wrong, and you'll lose money.

So if you buy coins, buy them because you like them, because about 95% of the time you're not going to show a profit on them.

dwhiz likes this.
  15. Larry G

Larry G Member

Great advice GDJMSP. I guess I need to have the mindset about collecting coins not so much as an investment but rather, a Hobby !!!!!!

16. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

Others may see it differently, but I see it not as an investment but as a hobby that I have a good chance of making my money back on.

Coin values tend to have an upward trend through time so if you do mess up you can always sit on it for awhile and sell it later.

And don't nobody tell me my coins are worth more dollars only because of inflation!! ;)

17. Scropper

Scropper Member

That's true GDJMSP, but they don't have to be. Buy right and do your research and there are opportunities for investment-grade coins at most budget levels. That said, numismatic investment-grade (rather than bullion investment) quarter eagles will not be in the 5-600 range, which is what makes your point salient.

If you're looking for an investment grade coin in the 5-600 range, you're going to have to forget quarter eagles, imho. Unless you're "investing" for the bullion, in which case it's an expensive way to buy gold. BUT a BEAUTIFUL way. : )

Draft saved Draft deleted