What would you bid on this damaged 1909-S VDB cent?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Insider, Mar 25, 2022.

1. Hoky77

Hoky77 Well-Known Member

Check my avatar, I got it cheap. I've been offered over $900.00 for it. The only way I could afford to put a AU coin in that hole was to go details.

Insider, -jeffB and potty dollar 1878 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. halfcent1793

halfcent1793 Well-Known Member

What would I bid? and what do I think it is worth? are two very different things. You appear to be asking what it would be worth to someone, not what any of us would bid on it.

I would not bid on a coin like this, because I wouldn't want it in my collection, but that doesn't mean I think it's worthless. All coins have SOME value, and even very low grade 1909S-VDBs are collected. If the "book value" is $500, this coin could probably sell to SOMEONE for that. So, at $250, I think you probably got a pretty good deal.

4. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

halfcent1793, posted: "What would I bid? and what do I think it is worth? are two very different things. You appear to be asking what it would be worth to someone, not what any of us would bid on it."

Thanks for your reply. I See what you mean:

[/QUOTE]

5. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Everyone should take this as a "different" type of "Guess the value "with no one being responsible for whatever guess they made, nor will any deals made that should be consummated are only made in the BST area of classifieds forum.
    Yes, Insider, I know you have a "hammer" behind your back waiting for a tweety bird, to tweet! Play fair :)

Cheech9712 likes this.
  6. Insider

I can be as immature :D as the best of them; however, I wish we could occasionally have more threads that are serious on the US side of CT. Perhaps some members could take a clue from the Ancient Forum where more grownup numismatists reside. Good Night All. :kiss:

Attached Files:

7. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

You’re incorrectly characterizing a portion of your audience. Most of us here aren’t professional dealers, and some of us (myself among them) aren’t actively engaged in selling coins on eBay or other venues. The time it would take me to get set up as a seller, and to process and execute the sale of a single coin, would be time taken away from my other income producing activities.

If it were “handed” to me? Sure. But if I have to work for it, well, I already have a job. A few hundred dollars — minus eBay’s cut — simply wouldn’t be worth the time and hassle.

I thought you were quite clear.

8. ifthevamzarockin

ifthevamzarockin Well-Known Member

"Perhaps some members could take a clue from the Ancient Forum where more grownup numismatists reside."

"How many loser :troll::bucktooth: clowns :vomit: with no life :( are going to post in this thread"

One foot in your mouth wasn't enough you thought it was a good idea to try and fit the other one in there too?

UncleScroge, charley and ldhair like this.
  9. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t, condition and eye appeal are among my requirements.

10. Insider

ifthevamzarockin, post: 8274856, member: 135372"]"Perhaps some members could take a clue from the Ancient Forum where more grownup numismatists reside."

"How many loser :troll::bucktooth: clowns :vomit: with no life :( are going to post in this thread"

One foot in your mouth wasn't enough you thought it was a good idea to try and fit the other one in there too?"

o_O
    :yawn:
    :rolleyes:
    :( There is a time to be funny and a time to be serious. IMO, there is only one post in this entire thread that was not serious. It was post #13 and IT WAS FUNNY. I loved it. So, it seems my second question "worked." It kept the usual sad attempts at humor :( to basically ZERO as I had hoped. :p

Now, I have included/written about CT in my list of the four best coin forums on the Internet. I am presently banned from the other three. :D I find the caliber of the members here to span a much wider range of experience/knowledge then on the other three. Additionally, the mods give us more leeway to post. So, I'm more able to call things as I see them. Those who are challenged with English comprehension, posting productive information, or ignorant on a subject will hear from me as just another member around here like everyone else.

This thread is done for me. I hope we all learned something about the value of problem coins. I got my original post answered. Perhaps some here should try putting both feet into their pie hole too so I don't need to read more :yack::yack::yack::yack::yack: :yawn:

John Skelton likes this.
  11. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

My SVDB is a gouged VF, although not as bad as this one, that I got for basically free. Quite a few of you were around for the story on that one but I can explain if need be.

Given the information already provided previously in this thread about pricing I'd be willing to pay $150-200 and then re-sell, as others would be willing to pay a higher price for this strongly in-demand coin, and I personally do not want it.

I will bite the bullet on a piece in this state of preservation if needs be for something scarce and more interesting to me like a Charlotte/Dahlonega gold piece, Liberty Cap half/large cents, Flowing Hair/Draped Bust silver, 1860-S quarter, etc. This particular issue simply doesn't interest me enough to get me excited over a piece in this state of preservation at all. Thus I wouldn't want a piece like this in my collection.

But, since there are people willing to pay up for it, it has value.

-jeffB likes this.
  12. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

We got early on that there was a value to the coin. No doubt, Just most of the not worth it crowd was all about the effort involved to get rid of it. So, yeah as a dealer, it's a no brainer, as a collector. and a grader/ wait sorry authentiator. You should be advocating for a clean standard. JMO​

13. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

There is a plague of details and egregious detials coins making it into circulated grades. If we don't as collectors keep an eye out. I fear it could get out of control.​

14. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

Clearly from a market standpoint the coin is worth a non-trivial amount. Based on responses from people well versed in market trends, a couple of Benjamins would be the worst case scenario.

The discussions on this thread are a good example of why I avoid problem coins. They are just too difficult to price, especially this one. It crosses way over the line from “damaged” to “mutilated”, and so everyone’s opinions on what to compare it to are unique. To me it’s even worse than holed. There will always be demand for pieces like this as hole fillers though, just not from me personally.

15. Silverpop

Silverpop Well-Known Member

i'd pass on this coin as too risky

16. Insider

I was done looking at this thread but the :troll: in me made me open the new alerts.:D

I :troll: don't "sugar coat" so here is a dose of reality :bigtears: for anyone still looking at this thread:

Enough has been written about the "Wild West Decades " long before many here were born. Most of you are very lucky you were not around to get your pants taken off! :jawdrop:

Pickin and Grinin, posted: "We got early on that there was a value to the coin. No doubt, Just most of the not worth it crowd was all about the effort involved to get rid of it. So, yeah as a dealer, it's a no brainer, as a collector. and a grader/ wait sorry authentiator. You should be advocating for a clean standard."

:rolleyes: Nice idea if we lived in fantasyland. I seem to remember that way back in 1986 a bunch of ex-wolfs got together to protect the ignorant sheep from other wolves. As I remember, they tried what you advocate. Remember the "body bag" rip-off all the sheep complained about? It appears that "Clean" coins are uncommon. News Flash: Truly original, as made coins get fewer every year in every series. Thankfully, a bunch of unmolested coins have been encapsulated to save them for future collectors. And...unfortunately, there are no STANDARDS anymore. :(

Pickin and Grinin, posted: "There is a plague of details and egregious detials coins making it into circulated grades. If we don't as collectors keep an eye out. I fear it could get out of control."

I'm not one of those professionals who claim to have handled a trillion coins in their career; however, most of the CIRCULATED coins I've seen DESERVE to be in "details" holders for something. Furthermore if the majority of "collectors" actually had a good "eye," there may have been less of a need for grading services and authentication only services would be the norm. ;)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2022
  17. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Is there going to be a sea change here?

If demand for "details" coins continues to strengthen, and TPG "standards" continue to relax, are we returning to a market where details coins aren't so heavily stigmatized?

If I'm looking at a proof or uncirculated coin, I want to see that full as-struck luster, not random flares where someone scrubbed it. But if I'm looking at an AG 1913-S quarter, I don't so much care whether someone at some point wiped it, or if it got dropped on its edge enough to leave a dent, or even if it's got a slight bend.

differential and Cheech9712 like this.
  18. charley

charley Well-Known Member

The size of the Market for such pieces would surprise many, and, in fact, "Genuine" pieces encapsulated by a TPG is a robust Market.

Stigmatizing has become Stigmatism..

19. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Op’s wording is snide and snippy

20. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

Unlike, say, yours, perhaps?

21. Jack D. Young

Jack D. Young Well-Known Member

Unfortunately detail type "coins" are the ones with the most opportunity to be counterfeit; if there is a "trend" currently to my eye it is the number of details type coins returned as unverifiable...

Insider likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted