What would this Franklin grade?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Bonedigger, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

What would this "raw" 1957 Franklin grade. BTW, I think it's toned pretty good too ;)

Thanks
    Bone

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

Well its not FBL.....can you get a photo of the front right on...not on the side??

If that is wear on the hair AU55 but if its not then MS62

Speedy

4. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

Nope, thats the best I can get it under a 100 watt lamp. Natural lighting washs out the color and you can't even make out some of the devices :( (I) think it's FBL though. My camera's macro isn't all that good, and it's handheld to goot, but there are Full Bell Lines. Here's an MS-65 which it blows (I think) away though.

Bone

http://www.heritagecoins.com/common/view_item.php?inv=149417180

Attached Files:

5. The_Cave_Troll

The_Cave_Troll The Coin Troll

First, those coins are different dates. That means that they very possibly could be held to differnet grading standards.

Second, Just because the PCGS 65 has ugly (IMO) toning doen't mean it doesn't have a very high level of surface preservation, thus justifying its high grade.

Third, you asked for opinions on grade, why are you argueing with someone who offered their opinion? Speedy is a collector of Franklin halves, my guess is that he knows what he is talking about.

6. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

Troll,

I was just interjecting some (I think valid) further information/reasoning into the equation. Your take on my (perceived) attack on Speedy's opinion was totally incorrect and premature, rude as well.

There are NO different standards in grading a 1957 vs 1951 Franklin I'm aware of, and I challenge you to provide any information (via link) to prove otherwise. Need I remind you that grading is and always will be a matter of OPINION. And, in my opinion the 1957 kicks the butt of the 1951-S.

Obviously, I don't know Speedy as well as you. I don't know or care if he collects Dimes or Dollars the information provided does inform me he'd be the fellow to go to if I needed help with hunting (which I too enjoy) or shrubbery though...

Bone

7. Speedy

And there is....

PCGS offens overgrade and IMO (about this coinnnn) doesn't know what FBL
    is...NGC is the tightest with FBL.

Thank you...I'm far from knowing anything much and with grading I'm
    still learning...I go alot by eye appeal...

I didn't take it as rude but I still hold to what I said...that isn't a
    FBL...the bottom line needs to be bolder and any place would kick that
    out---

That is where you are wrong...there is a grading change...you don't
    grade a 1986 ASE like you do a 1999....the strike for the 99 is better
    and therefor you don't grade them the same...you don't grade a dime like
    you do a dollar....they might have some same number of marks...but the
    dollar is larger than the dime so the dime would be graded higher than
    the dollar....with the like you wouldn't grade a 1878-S morgan dollar
    the same as you would a 1900-O morgan...the O strike was week therefor
    you might grade with that in mind...the same is with Franklins...
    I'm not sure right now what dates are week struck and such on
    Franklins...but yours shows a week strike...it shows in LIBERTY and the
    letters on top of the back....the hair also shows some part of it...

Some times....tell a dealer that he didn't grade such and so coin right
    and he would kick you out of the shop...grading is a ART...

Hunting maybe....shrubbery...I don't know alot about that...I mostly mow
    and such...

Speedy

8. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

LOL, Bravo

Bone

9. zaneman

zaneman Former Moderator

Wow! That coin looks pitted. Ugly tone IMO.

10. geralde61

geralde61 New Member

Evening Ya'll,

I've been lurking around here for the better part of 2 months and just wanted to toss in my 2-bits here.

This Franklin Bonediger posted is one of the finest examples of the lightly struck 1957 run I've ever seen. Easily MS-66-FBL.

In the proper arena this coin could fetch upwards of $500 with the right holder of course. Probably PCGS or ANACS. My 2-bits is done for now.

Good Night Sleep Tight and Don't Let The Bedbugs Bite. (G)

11. Speedy

Sorry but I disagree....the fingerprint the many nickes and marks lower the grade...the coin is lightly struck I think and so I do give it the MS grade...other wise I would only give AU55 but please tell me how you can tell it is MS66 FBL when the Bell lines are not full and the coin has too many nicks and such to even make a MS64...

Speedy

12. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I think the coin would grade 64 with either PCGS or NGC, and PCGS would probably call it FBL - NGC would not. But there is no way it would grade higher than that. As has been said - too many marks.

13. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

I wish I'd never posted it at all...

Bone :mad:

14. rbm86

rbm86 Coin Hoarder

Bonedigger, don't sweat it -- debate (and some "flaming") is just part of on-line forums. Let it slide, and just try to learn what you can! :D

I agree with GD on this one -- the marks limit it to MS64, and it will get FBL at PCGS, may not at NGC.

Draft saved Draft deleted