What would create toning like this?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ldhair, Feb 13, 2018.

1. CircCam

CircCam Victory

It reminds me of the haphazard toning that occurred on some of the huge collection of Morgan's I inherited. They were all stored the same way in those old tan paper flips.

Some toned nicely and a bunch graded MS at PCGS- some didn't fare as well and toned really strangley/darkly and it killed the eye appeal. They were all from the same roll/same VAM.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Grandpa ? Hmmm - should we tell folks that you are even older than I am ? And yet you call me grandpa ? :rolleyes:

352sdeer and BlackBeard_Thatch like this.
  4. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

GDJMSP, posted: "Grandpa ? Hmmm - should we tell folks that you are even older than I am ? And yet you call me grandpa?"

I seem to recall a past discussion where 100% of the posters agreed there was NO ONE older than you!

5. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

The methuselah of coin collecting. Doug remembers when ancients were in daily circulation

352sdeer and Oldhoopster like this.
  6. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

As far as the coin my thought is it was in a paper envelope that either got wet or was stored in a moist environment

ldhair likes this.
  7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I bought the coin in 2007 from this next image. The second image is a coin I could have bought at the same time but it has FH on the holder and the price was just too much. They were already graded at the time. The images above were taken last month at FUN. In hand I believe the reverse is turning darker. I'm not sure of the age of the holder. I'll post an image of it in a few. quarter1928nonFH.jpg

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  8. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

10. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

I believe that particular NGC holder , combined with storage methods, combined with air pollutants has caused this.
    Ive seen this happen before, albeit mostly small coins like dimes

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    ldhair likes this.
  11. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

@Conder101 Could you help with when this slab was being used?

12. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

1992 -1995 My NGC 5.

13. Ike Skywalker

Ike Skywalker Well-Known Member

I have a 1971-S proof Ike with weird toning that I believe to be from exposure to moisture. The reverse is completely unaffected, and I'm curious as to how this happened.

20170517_71-S-PR-KV-Virus-o_opt.jpg

71-S PR KV Virus.jpg

14. GDJMSP

Geeez ! You guys make it kinda hard to argue a point ya know that ! And in truth I suppose I just made it worse myself, given another post I just made. But to get even, I'm gonna make ya go find it yourselves ! As I always say - I'm gonna getcha for that ! :D

15. GDJMSP

And Larry, given the age of the slab, it makes me wonder even more for it pretty much ties in with the time period I had in mind.

16. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Is that thing still in the OGP ?? Certainly youve dubbed it- the snake skin Ike ?

Or the Zombuck ??

17. 352sdeer

352sdeer Collecting Lincoln cents for 50 years!

If this was a steel plate I’d say it looks just like Mill Scale. The scale on steel flakes off and produces sharp edges also. Scale and toning are both a surface oxidation and can be chemically removed and after that the surface will then build up again, rust on steel and tarnish on silver. The silver items were polished less that a year ago.
    79BA4DC9-CD5E-43B2-8D89-557427DBCFCC.jpeg 4E516EC4-3CB9-4FFB-B408-713246693B83.jpeg 214453CC-FC80-4082-8D8E-BF339CBB6DD6.jpeg 1AD65E36-0084-4D19-9649-CF45B3D6D7CA.jpeg
    Reed, Sparkles and the Zombies

18. Ike Skywalker

Gone.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    heavycam.monstervam likes this.
  19. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Why did you jack my thread with this?

20. Ike Skywalker

Sorry. I can see your point. I shared the coin to show that it had a similar, unnatural toning pattern like yours, but I didn't mention that at first. I'll see if I can delete them. If not, then maybe @GDJMSP can.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  21. Ike Skywalker

I was able to edit out the last post, but not the first.

Draft saved Draft deleted