What would cause this mark 1878 cc GSA

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by DysfunctionalVeteran, Sep 29, 2016.

1. DysfunctionalVeteran

DysfunctionalVeteran Oddly enough

It's my coin. It's not a gouge like a deep coin contact. It's not stuck foreign material. It looks like a reverse proof milk spot but it's not a milk spot. Any ideas??
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Looks like a minor debris strikethrough. Maybe small woodchip that fell off

Insider likes this.
  4. DysfunctionalVeteran

I can live with that. My error collection got one coin larger. Will ANACS accept GSA's as part of the Fall special?

5. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

From what I have read on here, they will. If it is Dcam you would be taking a gamble, insurance wise.

6. DysfunctionalVeteran

The 78CC is kind of blahhh appearance wise. Nothing really special that stands out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The 85CC is much prettier.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

charlietig likes this.
  7. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

What a magnificent Carson City Coin it is a 1878 it is a very good year it's field of proof , with Dynamic contrast on the eagle feathers ,Center breast and reverse lettering. The office off of shows dmpl serfi although the scarring on the reverse takes a little away from it until it was scratched buy another coin. It has bad wear marks so you can tell it was in a bag prior to being encased

Sent from my C6740N using Tapatalk

8. kaosleeroy108

As far as what cause it , another coin scar'd or gouged the surface or a tool

9. DysfunctionalVeteran

I too thought it was from a coin or a tool but then I realized the finish isn't the same. Most tool or coin gouge marks leave a silver colored scar in their path. The mark left has more of a satin finish. Coin and tool marks doin leave satin finishes.

Insider likes this.
  10. kaosleeroy108

Wizz then

11. DysfunctionalVeteran

From GSA? Now you are reaching. Those lines are from polished dies.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  12. kaosleeroy108

Well.tben polished die SCaring

13. DysfunctionalVeteran

Whaaa????:banghead:

14. Pickin and Grinin

I have been wondering, and it became very apparent on this gsa. the triple points that hold the coin? Do you think these toned, Or, non toned areas are taken into consideration when Tgp's grade and re=grade submissions?

15. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

EDIT :angelic: ! The reason you are mistaken :oops: is the dull surface left on the coin from the strike thru.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  16. DysfunctionalVeteran

I'm not sure. It's possible the plastics may have caused the hazy like toning on this coin since it still has a PL like finish.

As far as what a TPG might say I'm not sure since I've never submitted anything on my own. These coins would be my first. I bought these CC's off my father so TPG company doesn't matter, I don't want to sell, but life happens sometimes.

17. Pickin and Grinin

I would think the haze has to do with Die state.

18. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

The polishing on the 1878-CC also appears on the EDS version of VAM-2A (which is what it is) at VAMworld. It's an interesting variety, with die chips on the nose and around the eye. It's acquired some skin (slang for the slightly clouded/toned surface) over the years, and only the fact it's a GSA coin would stop me from cracking it and removing that skin if it were in my hands. :)

The '85-CC is VAM-2 (VAM numbers start fresh with each issue) as well - note the dash under the 8 which is characteristic of the variety. I actually suspect the 1878 has the finer surfaces, under that skin.

19. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Aloha! May I suggest that you join the American Numismatic Association and take a few correspondence courses. They will pay for themselves. Take the minting process first, then grading, then authentication. You can also learn much of what is taught on the Internet. ;)

20. DysfunctionalVeteran

I'd guess..
    MS64 for the 78
    MS63 for the 85?

What say you?

21. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

My guess on that mark would be a minor lamination that fell off shortly after striking. It has the look of a small flake missing rather than being a hit or possibly even strike though. I could be wrong, but that would be my guess.

Draft saved Draft deleted