What would be a good auction estimate on this?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by DysfunctionalVeteran, Nov 23, 2018.

1. DysfunctionalVeteran

DysfunctionalVeteran Oddly enough

If in a Legend or Heritage auction what do you think this could sell for?

Photos taken in natural sunlight with a Motorola cellphone. IMG_20181123_154852412.jpg IMG_20181123_154909270.jpg IMG_20181123_154918665.jpg IMG_20181123_154930459.jpg IMG_20181123_154941264.jpg IMG_20181123_154951013.jpg IMG_20181123_155000279.jpg IMG_20181123_155009241.jpg

CircCam likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

I fear not nearly as much as you may be hoping...

JMHO, of course.

Inspector43 likes this.
  4. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Pretty common date and nothing special about the grade. Having said that, no telling what it would go for with the toning. Maybe some toner collectors will check in.

5. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

In its present tomb- hard to say really...
    Cross-it-over to a PCGS 67 holder and getcha popcorn ready while its being auctioned

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  6. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

If all I had to judge it by was those pictures I wouldn't be interested.

7. DysfunctionalVeteran

I plan on crossing it over along with this one. MS67 would be a stretch. 66 is more plausible.
    s-l400 (1).jpg

8. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'm at 65 on both.

furham likes this.
  9. DysfunctionalVeteran

I don't have a pro camera, just a cellphone. Truviews would help though. IMG_20181123_171519113_HDR.jpg IMG_20181123_171546903_HDR.jpg

10. ddddd

ddddd Member

First of all, I don't think Legend or Heritage is the right venue for this coin. Legend will likely pass since it's Anacs and at Heritage it may be buried among other items.

Lately GreatCollections and eBay have been the best venues for mid range Morgan toners.

An auction is always an uncertainty. You never know what type of action you might see. If you like taking a risk (maybe a big risk depending on your purchase price), an auction may bring the best result. However, if you have a set price in mind, just put it on eBay as a buy-it-now and see if anyone bites.

11. DysfunctionalVeteran

It was $35 in 1978 and I got it for free. In the near future it will be submitted for a crossover to PCGS with a few other old ANACS toners. I'm more interested in truviews on them and generic prices, although I'll never sell them.

12. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

13. EyeAppealingCoins

EyeAppealingCoins Well-Known Member

It wouldn't be worth the commissions and I doubt either Legend or Heritage would take it unless you have several other coins to consign with it. Typically, you need at least $5k in consignment value or better. Being in an ANACS slab will also likely be a problem for Legend.

My wager is $225-$300, but it could go higher with better pictures if it images well. Why not hire a professional photographer and list it on eBay? I have sold toned Morgans on eBay for more than Legend did. I sold a nice Battle Creek for $2500 on eBay that went for $1500 at Legend when the new owner sold it. The second subsequent owner listed it again at Legend and also still netted less than $2500. My pictures were better. Not every coin does well at Legend. In order to do well there, it needs to be tip top monster quality (like the Northern Lights coins). This one is nice, but not in the same category IMO.

14. b45

b45 Junior Member

$115.00 @ MS 65 IMO

15. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

What two people with more money than brains think it is worth. The sky's the limit.

roman99 likes this.
  16. DysfunctionalVeteran

You must not be a toned coin collector. Show me another at $115 and I'll throw my money at you.

17. ddddd

ddddd Member

My guess is that @b45 was just quoting guide for a generic 1904-O in MS 65.
    Your coin should sell for a multiple of that guide. How much more is hard to say. @EyeAppealingCoins gave a fair estimate.

18. DysfunctionalVeteran

A dealer (that used to work for Mike DeFalco) offered $500 and someone here ,who will remain anonymous, $1000. Both in person offers. The photos really need to be done professionally.

19. ddddd

ddddd Member

Those are solid offers. In my original reply I did mention that a fixed price could work best. With an auction, a $225-$300 range is a safe estimate as you don't know if the right people will be looking when the item ends. With a fixed price, you set your price and wait for the right number to come in.

DysfunctionalVeteran likes this.
  20. DysfunctionalVeteran

My father purchased the coin in 1978 and gave it to me 40 years later. With any luck I'll pass it to my eldest daughter in 40 years. My youngest will end up with something just as nice. They can fight over the rest when I'm worm food. My boys aren't much into numismatics. They'd rather have my rock collection.

ddddd likes this.
  21. ddddd

ddddd Member

Passing the coin on to your kids can be the right call, but do make sure they understand what it is (including the value). And if you don't think they'll see the value, it might be best to sell it yourself to maximize the return. You can always pass down some other family memento along with the cash proceeds from the coin.

TheFinn and TypeCoin971793 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted