What would an ideal price for a digital coin album?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by gxseries, Feb 16, 2018.

?

What is the most likely price you would pay for a digital album?

Poll closed Mar 16, 2018.
  1. 10

20.0%
  2. 20

10.0%
  3. 30

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 40

10.0%
  5. 50

30.0%
  6. 60 - 99

10.0%
  7. 100+ - since some albums that you want are literally impossible to find / dont exist

20.0%
  1. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

I'm curious - I'm certain many of you would have seen @sonlarson work or my work at issuu by now.

Just in case you haven't seen them or you don't know what I am talking about, here are a couple of links:

https://issuu.com/gxseries

https://issuu.com/mikelarson2

My personal favorite is the Japan type set album which took a lot of planning and frustration. Mike's Ireland album is also very nice.

The choices are literally infinite - you can do a type set album of various denomination or just a single denomination of all years / mintmarks or something more unique such as aluminum coins around the world, one coin from each country etc.

The biggest question is, what would you be happy to pay if you can customize anything that you really want? What are some albums that you would want to see?

sonlarson likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Even after looking at those links I don't really know what you mean by digital coin album.

thomas mozzillo and PlanoSteve like this.
  4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

those are cool.

5. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Sakata - these so called "digital" coin albums do not exist in physical form. While the photos of the coins are from genuine coins, these are photoshopped so that they appear to be in a coin album.

6. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Okay, thanks. I don't think I would be willing to pay anything so I cannot vote and am not allowed to see other people's votes. It needs an option of 0. What are the units, by the way? Dollars, cents, euros, bitcoins? As it is digital I guess it is bitcoin.

7. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

I'll rather have someone that comment on not interested rather than saying 0 and support piracy.

8. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Why does a vote for 0 imply supporting piracy?

Stevearino likes this.
  9. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

i cant vote either as i cant see how anyone would pay anything for something like that....

wxcoin likes this.
  10. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

Support your local pirate - arrrr! :jimlad:

18873-custom-ribbon-magnet-sticker-Support+Piracy.png

11. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

it is a very interesting way of seeing complete sets of coins. 2 thumbs up. not sure what it would cost have it done. coin photography is expensive if done on a professional level.

12. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

That being the case, acceptable to me would be to receive the album and $40. Then I would just ignore the "virtual" album & spend the $40 on a "real" coin. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Zed McJack and juris klavins like this.
  13. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

I like these, and might use them depending...
    - My collection changes all the time. When you say "... customize anything that you want", do you mean I could add a slot for "France 1929 Turin, silver" once I get that coin? Or is the album made once, "custom", and then made again when I get the coin?
    - I was not able to bring up large/huge images of your coins. A full-screen display of the digital page still has the coins fairly small. Is there a larger view of a single coin?

Thanks
    Dave

14. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I can't even begin to imagine why anybody would actually pay anything for something like that.

I mean there are literally dozens of websites that are completely free that allow coin collectors to organize, display, and manage their coin collections. So why would anybody pay for it ? Just because you can make it look like it's in an album ?

I mean there might be a bit of the "cool factor" to it for some folks to use it but would that be enough to make them pay for it ?

panzerman and PlanoSteve like this.
  15. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

I'm afraid I'm another one for the zero option. I find the albums shown mildly interesting but I can't say I would want to look at them more than once and so would not view them at all if I had to pay. As others have said, if I am looking for images or info on particular coins there are plenty of free options on the web.

I'm sorry if that is disappointing to those who have clearly spent quite a lot of time putting the albums together, but I would rather save my money for real coins in my own collection.

16. harley bissell

harley bissell Well-Known Member

Perhaps a collector could print his "album" and cut out the picture to place in a binder as a want list. When the coin is found the picture is thrown away. I would
    buy a complete photo album of every axis coin issue plus every coin they issued in occupied nations. I would want the coins to appear actual size in full color and would be willing to pay $100 for it IF AND ONLY IF for that money I got reprint rights for publication. Send me a pm if you can supply that. I would pay even more if you added the same thing for America's enemy nations in World War One.

gxseries likes this.
  17. harley bissell

harley bissell Well-Known Member

To those who say they can't see the vote totals. If you post a vote you will see the vote totals.

18. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

Ah yes - but if your vote is zero, you don't get a vote!

19. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

And in doing to warp the results.

20. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

Put it in the AppStore for 99c. No one gonna pay 100.

21. Richard M. Renneboog

Richard M. Renneboog Active Member

It's the start of an interesting idea, but I can't see it being a viable commercial thing in its present form. What I would be interested in is a program that allows you to store images of a coin that you actually possess and then displays it on demand as a 360-degree rotating image, with stop-motion and enlargement options for detailed visual inspection. The actual coin would be safely put away in protective custody and would not need to be physically handled otherwise. Anybody out there interested in designing an imaging gadget that you could drop the coin in and it generates a full-3D image for this purpose?

Draft saved Draft deleted