what would alexander the greats crowns be worth

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by davidquigley, Oct 25, 2009.

1. davidquigley

davidquigley Member

HI,And thanks I got it about 20 years ago on the east coast when i saw it had a ancient coin that was used to repair the front of it.I thought it was a censer for burning incencents in.over the years i tried cleaning it three or four times never any luck a few months ago i cleaned it for hours and hours with a tooth brush.I still dont know what the coin is large silver with a camel head if anyone might know what it could be please let me know thanks Dave

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Gao

Gao Member

I looked this over, and no reasoning whatsoever appears to be given as to why you even think that it's an authentic ancient Macedonian artifact at all. You provided no evidence that any Macedonian crowns looked like that (showing pictures where some small element kind of sort of looks like something on your item does not come close to demonstrating that it's even supposed to look Macedonian), and even if you did, you have provided no reason to think that it's anything other than a reproduction. In fact, it really looks rather modern to me. So why do you think this is ancient at all?

4. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

Gao - it really doesn't seem like he's the kind of person with whom you can reason.

5. davidquigley

davidquigley Member

Olympias

olympia.jpg

Firefox_wallpaper.png olmp inlarge.jpg

100px-Terrakota_Statue_eines_Makedoniers_3_Jhdt_v_Chr.jpg please in large this .modern no. The patina was so thick i spent weeks cleaning it.it still has sand in the cracks.yes its cracked and repaired.it has the macedonian star on the top .and like i have said it has the lions arch in it.if it was not greek why would the loins arch be there?and its made of electrum i dont even know can that be faked? And why use real gold and silver on a fake?and the art if you see grapes turn in to gods just by lighting a candle.why fake that. I didnt make it when i got it 20 years ago. And its not like i put a price on it.i have been looking at king ardashir crown coins and i think the greek causta-kausia looks more like it to me any way.thanks for the information .dave

6. Gao

Gao Member

Those pictures don't show anything that at all resembles the crown you have.
    None of that indicates that it's ancient. Keep in mind that by "modern," I mean made in the last few centuries.
    Which could have been put there by anyone at any point in history. People don't just stop using symbols forever after certain periods.
    What does a lion's arch have to do with being Greek? What would stop anyone else from putting it there? Why don't you think it was just an item intended to look Greek.
    First of all, electrum is just a mix of gold and silver. It's easy to make. Second, what tests did you do to determine the metal?
    Because you had a lot of money. Have you really tested the metal? Have you really confirmed that it's not plated or some other metal entirely? Even then, this tells us nothing about the age of the crown. As Ardatirion said, if anything, this resembles a Sasanian crown much more than a Macedonian one.
    What? I'm not sure what you're saying here.
    Honestly, it doesn't even look like someone was trying to fake a Greek artifact. It doesn't look Greek at all. It looks like something more modern that you have grossly misidentified.
    What are you talking about? You have yet to show the existence of any Greek crown that looks remotely like this thing. You have yet to give any good evidence that it's ancient at all.

7. Gao

Gao Member

Probably not, but I honestly don't have anything better to do right now.

8. davidquigley

davidquigley Member

Expert needed

:headbang::headbang: home.jpg Hi,lmao like i have said its three crowns NOT ONE CROWN .thanks dave

9. davidquigley

davidquigley Member

Grapes.leafs, art turns to other images

[​IMG]

10. davidquigley

davidquigley Member

Same emblem as above differnt view

[​IMG]

11. Ardatirion

You know, I don't mind if people don't agree with me. But when they come to me looking for advise and then repeatedly persist in their misguided opinions and entirely ignore everything I say? No thank you.

I held it off for a while, but I think its time...

[​IMG]

12. davidquigley

davidquigley Member

Another emblem soldier and boy on sphix ?

img_0017.jpg if fliped up side down it looks like boy in a tree ?pics not so good .

13. davidquigley

davidquigley Member

Same emblem as above fliped

:mouth: img_0017.jpg TO ME IT LOOKS LIKE MORE IMAGES FLIPED THIS WAY

14. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

"what would alexander the greats crowns be worth "

I'd guess in the millions for a real one. :)

15. Gao

Gao Member

So you're saying that this one item is in fact 3 crowns? That doesn't make a difference really, since no piece of that looks ancient at all. You need to keep in mind that guys like ardatirion and I are collectors of ancient artifacts. We look at them a lot. We have a good idea of what ancient objects look like. We know what sorts of diadems were used in Macedon. This doesn't look like an ancient object at all, and it doesn't remotely resemble any known Hellenistic Greek crown. If you disagree, please provide your evidence of how old the item is and why we should think that it's Greek (and using a couple of Greek symbols doesn't tell us anything, as anyone in the past 2500 years could have used the same symbols).

16. Gao

Gao Member

Looks to me like it's an abstract design. You're seeing things in it for the same reason that people see things when they look at clouds. If it was Greek, it would be very obvious if they were intending to show human forms or anything else specific. They didn't make things that looked anything like this emblem to my knowledge.

17. davidquigley

davidquigley Member

coin repair in front any one make it out?

img_0005 coin pic.jpg camel coin.jpg HI,I have never seen any thing like it eather.thanks David

18. Gao

Gao Member

In all honesty, I'm not even seeing a coin here. Could you hilight exactly what you're talking about here?

19. davidquigley

davidquigley Member

resized pic of coin camel head ?

camel head.jpg

20. Ardatirion

21. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

I cant say I see a coin either, and looking through the pics it looks like soder and weld marks on the under sides.

Draft saved Draft deleted