what would alexander the greats crowns be worth

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by davidquigley, Oct 25, 2009.

1. davidquigley

davidquigley Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. silvereagle82

silvereagle82 World Gold Collector

More than I have ... but wouldn't that be a great collectable to own ....WOW

4. davidquigley

davidquigley Member

Hi,would love to hear some feedback on them please post a reply thanks and have a great day

5. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

You've been posting this around the coin forums quite a bit. But someone really needs to point out that Alexander's crown would have looked nothing like this. The style is more consisted with Sasanid Persian crowns, MUCH later. Even then, I highly doubt this could be original.

6. davidquigley

davidquigley Member

HI,i have been working on this a long time please see the Boscoreale Mural this was the next king after alexander the greats son i have found many other things to tie it to that time im very open minded so thanks for the reply.David

7. Ardatirion

"Next after Alexander the Great's son" What are you suggesting? That it belongs to one of his commanders, after they declared themselves rulers? Seleukos I? Ptolemy I? Lysimachos? Antigonos I?

I am familiar with the Boscoreale murals. I don't believe any of them depict Alexander or his successors. Are you perhaps thinking of the Alexander mural in the House of the Faun?

Please explain more. In particular, cite your "evidence." You are making an extraordinary claim and need equally extraordinary evidence to back it up.

8. davidquigley

davidquigley Member

HI ,Im suggesting it could be yes .I was refering to Atigonus Gonatas mural.And the causta-kausia .the crowns are also made of electrum that dates it back to that time.what gets me is the art.the pics you see change its like the other day the rams head on the front of the coronet it allso has the lions arch carved in it if you light a candle it turns into two owls .each emblem on them have many many images that change in the light and as you look at differnt ways the fruit turns to gods it cool.Dave

9. Ardatirion

Are you talking about this?
    [​IMG]

It looks nothing at all like the crown you show.

I found your website. Your "references" are little more than the fruits of google searching "crown" "lion" and other such terms. The images you show bear little to no relevance to your own object and are from as diverse places as Mycenae and Baktria, places which would have absolutely NO influence on the art of Alexander.

Furthermore, you tell absolutely nothing of the provenance of the piece. Is it a "family heirloom?" Did you find it somewhere? Is it an art project of yours?

10. davidquigley

davidquigley Member

HI,This is three crowns not just one .I am looking for information on them . years ago i got them when i saw the old coin on the front as a repair when i was just geting into coin collecting.i got them thinking they were a incence burner.A few months ago i started cleening them and saw they were much more and your right i started out not knowing anything about them.i cleaned them for three weeks with a tooth brush.any how I am just looking for information on them i am thankfull for any information people send my way.thanks agian Dave

11. Ardatirion

Its three separate crowns now, is it?

12. davidquigley

davidquigley Member

HI,Yes the way it is on the home page i think they used it as a sun dial. i have lots of pics.the top is a coronet then a band crown and then a causta-kausia thats more like a helmet the inside has a dubble liner so if you got hit in the head it wouldnt hert as much its thick on top any way.thanks Dave

13. Ardatirion

Have you shown this to any museums? Or has all of your research been done on the internet?

Like I said before, it much more closely resembles the crown of Sasanid King Ardashir III:
    [​IMG]

14. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

If you think this is really "something", take it to a museum for confirmation.

Instead of finding it breath-taking, which you would think a regal artifact should be, I find it rather nauseating to look at.

But, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Good luck with your quest. I'm very interested to hear the results from someone in authority.

15. davidquigley

davidquigley Member

Hi,Most my resurch has been over the net.I have sent pics to some museums and if i get a reply back its that its not in there budget to do research.The SF Asian museum told me its a mixture of art .The coronet has a repair in the front that could of had a cobra there. coronets were worn by Asians and Egyptians but it has the Macedonian lions arch in it. back and forth Asia,Eghpt,Macedonian. Thats another idea why the crowns have the mix of art in them the wearer was ruler of all three?thanks DAVE

16. donnyb

donnyb Member

So how did it come into your possesion for investigation?

17. Ardatirion

You're entirely missing my point. The crown does NOT resemble Hellenistic Greek crowns! At best, its a later crown. At worst, much later.

18. davidquigley

davidquigley Member

HI,Im not missing the point there is a coin of Olympias in large it she is not wearing a gold leaf crown.Antigonus Gonatas is not wearing a gold leaf crown.Alexander the greats wife roxanne was not from macedonian. Alexander the greats son is not wearing a gold leaf crown in Egypt or Asia.I have seen a lot of greek coins of radiate crowns that were not gold leaf crowns.thanks Dave

19. Gao

Gao Member

So what information do you have that indicates that Alexander the Great's crown would have looked remotely like this? The attribution to Alexander appears to be completely arbitrary to me. What convinced you that this was ancient at all?

20. davidquigley

davidquigley Member

21. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Some people dont like going offsite, if you can post some here it wold help us, and you. How did you get it?

Draft saved Draft deleted