What will they grade ? MS 1889-CC & 1893-CC Morgans .

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Bedford, May 27, 2015.

1. Bedford

Bedford Lackey For Coin Junkies

1-IMG_8246.JPG 2-IMG_8247.JPG 3-IMG_8248.JPG 4-IMG_8249.JPG I haven't done a "guess what they will grade" in a long time so here it goes.

These lovely ladies will be going to PCGS soon .

What do you think they will come back as ?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. miedbe7

miedbe7 Wayward Collector

63 and 64

edit: holy cow!

eddiespin likes this.
  4. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

IMO 62 and 63

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Hold your breath on the '89-CC! It looks too good to be true. Why has it remained raw all these years? I don't like the rough texture of Liberty's face.

Chris

swamp yankee and JPeace$ like this.
  6. Bedford

Oh believe me I am holding my breath on all of them,hoping for the grades to come back the way I think they should.

7. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

63 & 65

So what do you think?

8. Bedford

IMO 63+ & 65

Thanks for the comments so far.

9. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

63+ on the 93-CC

I can't substantiate it from the photographs, but my gut tells me the 89-CC has altered surfaces.

JPeace$ likes this.
  10. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

I guess that I'd go along with the 63 and 65s. Please let us know what it comes back as.

11. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

62 & details au

12. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

You're worried about grades? What you should be worried about is that the '89-CC is a counterfeit. I can't believe that a coin in supposedly that good condition has gone for years and years without being authenticated.

Chris

swamp yankee and kSigSteve like this.
  13. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

+1

14. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

93-58
    89- 63

bear32211 likes this.
  15. Bedford

Chris , I'm not worried about authenticity. This isn't my first rodeo. Without explaining too much this coin is from a large estate that we have been liquidating for the past month. The collector passed on in 1982 . They were locked up in the widows safes for the next 33 years until her passing a few months ago . The assets have now been released to the family to sell . Given the year the guy passed in I assume that ANA certification wasn't an option he chose for his coins back then .

Thanks for the comments.

16. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

The first thing I thought of was some kind of acid, as in, "dip." It's not confined to the profile, but can be seen pretty clearly in the perimeter fields, as well. I have acid cents, some very maligned, others with just those telltale "goose bumps." I'm not saying it is that, but if my cents are any benchmark, it looks like it. I don't think it's counterfeit. As that has to be explained away, I'll give it, "dipped." MS64, they just ignore it, but doubt they'll do that.

17. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Jason, I got the 1893-CC at a technical MS63.

18. Twobit

Twobit Active Member

WOW!!! Very nice.
    You don't see them dates in that grade very often.

I'm in the 63 & 65 camp.

19. dcarr

dcarr Mint-Master

I disagree. The coin shown has a date placement and a mint mark placement that matches genuine 1889-CC VAM-5. The 1889-CC is genuine. The surface texture appears normal for 1889-CC VAM-5. As to grade, it may have been lightly cleaned. It is one of those coins that could come back "cleaned", or it could fall anywhere in the range of AU-58 to MS-61 depending on how it looks to the grader in-hand.

The 1893-CC is also genuine, and it appears to be MS-63 with a somewhat weak strike (so perhaps a "net" grade of MS-62).

20. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

If it's not counterfeit, could it be a fantasy? Oh, lol. :)

swamp yankee and micbraun like this.
  21. coloradobryan

coloradobryan Well-Known Member

The rough surface on the 89-cc would have me worried. A pic of the edge compared with a known good coin would be good. TPG of your choice would be a good bet, and anyway a coin like a 89-cc should be in a slab.

swamp yankee and fish4uinmd like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted