What will our coins look like in thousands of years?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by BoonTheGoon, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Yeah, I got burnt out on that Roll Hunting thing. For a year, my wife and I would average about $10,000-$12,000 a week purchasing US Half Dollars to search for 90% Silvers. We averaged about 1.5% getting 200-300 a week capturing 90%ers. We had several banks who would work with us, and we would bag them upon our return. For the time, weight, and banks becoming tired, it was fun, but not a monster return for the effort. Snared several proofs, couple UK Pennies Edwards), no gold pieces, several 40% halves. Fun, but roll searching is like cleaning Ancients: not really worth it for me.

Find in circulation? Heck, with as much travelling I did for my profession, I used plastic for every purchase. Picked up much more Asian, Americas, and European coins than US.

Kentucky likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Yeah, I've cleaned a few, but "Don't quit your day job".

Alegandron likes this.
  4. BoonTheGoon

BoonTheGoon Grade A mad lad

I imagine cleaning ancients is like cleaning old cutlasses, lots of grime.

5. Alegandron

Lol, I have no patience! “Git-r-DONE” approach! :)

Kentucky likes this.
  6. Alegandron

Depends: copper / bronze vs Silver vs Gold.

7. BoonTheGoon

It was iron or steel I think, they took me around 3 days of constant polish after getting the thick rusty coat off with sand paper. I ended up discovering them to be 1790 west Kent pattern swords that were later used in the navy.

Alegandron likes this.
  8. Alegandron

Nice! I used to work for Wilkinson Sword when I expatted in the UK.

Have a few Ghurka Kukris (yes, authentic) and my model 1860 US Cavalry saber, but not much in modern hand weapons... ( oh, and several pre-production prototypes / first production runs of other knives that we developed under other brands in the US)

9. Black Friar

Black Friar Well-Known Member

For the most part, the Chinese no longer use small change or paper/plastic. Your cell phone is your cash/credit card. Face it, we certainly live in an era of fast change. Oops, did I really write that? This is my hobby, I do it for fun.

10. BoonTheGoon

Here is picture of swords I restored, they each go for about 700£ right now, my grand dad gave them to me and that is only reason I own them. IMG_0284.JPG

Clawcoins and Alegandron like this.
  11. Alegandron

Each time I visited China on business, many transactions were in currency (Renminbi / Yuans). Hotels took plastic. However, when I ventured out to visit some of the local markets and vendors, there were a lot of 1 Yuan and Jiao coins that I used or received in change. When I was there in the 80's, many places would ONLY take currency if you were buying a meal or our hotels. Plastic was sporadic in the 90's. However, even today, I use a lot of currency while there. I have traveled most of China and probably visited the country 50 times over the years. Much of my travel was in small areas, and also many of their large cities. Very interesting growth in such a very short time!

12. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

You are the best and sweetest. Please don't change. We'll know

Kentucky likes this.
  13. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Think you over did it.

14. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Aw...:angelic::angelic::angelic:thank you and Merry Christmas.

Draft saved Draft deleted