What will our coins look like in thousands of years?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by BoonTheGoon, Dec 11, 2018.

1. ron_c

ron_c Well-Known Member

There probably won't be any coins used in thousands of years. Everything will be on paper only, no exchange of money. Only the coins in collections will survive, but it won't matter as most or all of the earth's natural resources will have been used up by then and the number of people will be unsustainable unless something happens . Wars or diseases kept populations down in the past.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BoonTheGoon

BoonTheGoon Grade A mad lad

I can imagine by the time I get old, I am going to get jumped by a bunch of credit card collectors and they are going to say ¨The future is now old man!¨

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Well let's see, the first documented bank notes were made in 115 B.C. . And depending on whom you ask, coins are referred to as ancients at anywhere before from around 400 A. D. to about 900 A. D. . So the same should follow for banknotes I would think.

Alegandron likes this.
  5. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

LOL: ok, Ok, OK!!! I will keep this honest to these "moderns-types"

To answer @BoonTheGoon OP, I have scads of these from $1-$20 US, foreigns, etc. of the various types, but I really never post them:

I feel they will look purdy good in a few thousand years...

Half Sovereign 1901 Queen Vic.jpg
    10 Dollar Gold 1894 Mat Baca 13-Oct-2016.JPG
    American Gold Eagle.JPG
    Gold 20 Dollar.JPG
    Mex 50 Peso Gold.JPG

:)

6. BoonTheGoon

I keep getting my mind blown today XD and yes I am sure those coins will look quite good in a millenia

Alegandron likes this.
  7. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

That's an excellent question. For me, in a very general sense, a thousand years works.

However, some items like Anglo-Saxon English coins can be over a thousand years old and considered by numismatic scholars to be merely "medieval", while some Byzantine coins less than a thousand years old and minted up to the fall of Constantinople in 1453 are considered "ancient".

I think you'll find there's no hard and fast rule there.

8. Alegandron

Naw, I think we are now staking claim to around the 1500's - to the early milled coinage... RESISTANCE is truly becoming FUTILE! :)

upload_2018-12-12_14-17-15.png

9. BoonTheGoon

Hm, that is interesting perhaps because England still exists its not ancient but because the Byzantine empire is dead it feels more distant.

10. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

The zinc cents will be anonymous globs of metal unless there are a conglomeration of them in one large ball of crud.

11. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

OMG...I just realized these are fourees...

12. Kentucky

13. Kentucky

Not my coin...wish it was.

14. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Hi kentucky

Kentucky likes this.
  15. Kentucky

Hi...

16. BoonTheGoon

I think I will be a grey jedi instead, a jack of all trades of sorts but this "dark side" is quite intruiging.

Alegandron likes this.
  17. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

They will be scanning our retinas and deducting money from our account.

18. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

That's better than having them scan our money and deduct our retinas, I suppose. :jimlad:

Alegandron likes this.
  19. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

While there were some very limited experiments (defined as few coins here, a few there) with milled coinage prior to it, the first milled coinage was produced in 1643, by the French.

Now about that resistance being futile part, wellllllllll, I've been telling people that the power of the dark side is irresistible, and that the dark side will win ! - for far longer than most have been members of this forum :)

Kentucky and Alegandron like this.
  20. Alegandron

Thank you for all your work and support!

Occassional forays into Moderns can be fun, but I repented 30 years ago for Ancients! My opinion: MUCH more fulfilling. But there aint many of us...

21. Kentucky

Admittedly fun and fulfilling, but hard to coin roll hunt or find in circulation :)

Alegandron likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted