What will our coins look like in thousands of years?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by BoonTheGoon, Dec 11, 2018.

1. BoonTheGoon

BoonTheGoon Grade A mad lad

I always see the ancient coins on the forums and realize that they did not have normal shapes back then but, what will the silver dollars of today look like? As well as the many other gold and silver coins around the world. Will things misshape them and will the sharp details be worn out? I see the ancients and know that they did not have the abillity to make anysharp letters but I wonder if our coins will be easily readable and recognizable. Idk just some thoughts, tell me what you think.

Robert91791 and Theodosius like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

They will all be tooled by Lanz to look like Eid Mar denarius.

:p:p:p :troll:

OK, I guess that is actually not too funny the way things are going...

4. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Post O' the day right there folks. When funny meets real.
    downloadfile-6.gif

5. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Do some research into the environmental effects on metal, and you will have your answer

6. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

Seriously, it is to be hoped that properly cleaned and stored ancients should last another 2000 years without further degredation, especially if they have protective patina or toning.

That should be your goal as a collector, to care for and preserve the coins in your possession so they can be passed on indefinitely.

Cheech9712 and Pavlos like this.
  7. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Yeah, the diemaking was horrible (sarcasm)
    [​IMG]

8. BoonTheGoon

wow thats actually quite nice, I am not an expert on ancients anyhow but that is quite interesting. I should really do my homework if I am going to start collecting ancients. (at least this homework I would enjoy doing)

9. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Collecting ancients is a WHOLE different world.

Smojo and dougsmit like this.
  10. BoonTheGoon

What is good coins to start, like rome or greece or is there anywhere in particular to start with?

11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Start by viewing a wide variety of coins and see which ones appeal to you. What I like may bore you. My page below is one of thousands online that can introduce you to things you might want to learn.
    http://www.forumancientcoins.com/dougsmith/voc.html

Curtisimo likes this.
  12. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

While I love your coin, there is as much a part of me that doesn't because, clearly, no one touched it. It's old and quite an amazing specimen of the quality produced back then, but no one touched it. No one held it. No one spent it. I literally love and hate your coin at the same time. It shows what my worn coins were at one time, with amazing detail, but at the same time, no one gave it love and spent it. I like to hold history, to touch what ancient hands did. But I appreciate the craftsmanship they applied to their everyday objects. Hence, I love and hate your coin.

1916D10C, Clavdivs and Numisnewbiest like this.
  13. Numisnewbiest

Numisnewbiest Well-Known Member

Although I wouldn't say I hate this coin, I'll never be able to buy one like that, so I don't mind seeing a coin in that kind of condition (love it, actually). At the same time, I'm with you on the worn coins - those are my very personal connection to somebody "back then".

14. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

@swish513 , @Numisnewbiest Yes we all agree it's an amazing coin... it was shown to display the incredible artistry at it's best for the period - a great post.
    I will never own anything close to it - but I am so very glad these examples exist so we can marvel.
    Mine are all worn by use and most are not of the "collectible quality" that many here desire. That is Ok. I feel so privileged to own a piece of this history - as most on here can understand...

My latest acquisitions are below.. and they are on the higher quality end of my collection..if only they could talk... :)

AgrippaNewMERGE.jpg
    AGRIPPA. (d. 12 BC)
    Obverse:
    M AGRIPPA L F COS III
    Head left, wearing rostral crown.
    Reverse: SC
    Neptune standing left, holding dolphin.

Mint City: Rome. Struck AD 37-41
    Reference: RIC 58 (Caligula)

VespasianMERGE.jpg
    Vespasian 69-79 AD
    Sestertius, Rome Mint
    32mm, 22.53 grams
    OBV: IMP CAES VESPASIAN AVG P M TR P PP COS VII
    Laureate head of Vespasian left
    REV: PAX AVGVSTVS SC
    Pax standing left holding branch and cornucopia

I think in a thousand years they will look very similar to what they look like today - their days of being used and abused are over!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  15. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

I don't think you can assume that. If you pull a random ten-year-old US penny from your pocket change it will probably still look pristine, yet it's likely been handled by hundreds, perhaps, thousands or people already.

dlhill132 and Theodosius like this.
  16. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Not necessarily so. Modern cents do not actually circulate very much. (But quarters do.) Furthermore, the post-1982 cents with a zinc core and only a thin outer layer of copper do not stand the test of time, as I can attest from metal detector finds. They corrode horribly, in a surprisingly short period of time, after being exposed to the environment.

Silver and gold stand the test of time, of course; gold especially so. It can even survive seawater immersion.

I'd say we are within a generation or so of coins becoming obsolete in commerce. It's already happening. They'll likely continue to be produced for collectors, however. As such, it might actually be uncommon to see well-circulated late-21st century coins in the future.

Kentucky and Alegandron like this.
  17. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Here are a couple Nickel-sized coins from over 2000 years ago:

Roman Republic AR Denarius (yeah, silver to you moderns-folk)
    RR AR Denarius 149 BCE Pinarius  Natta Roma X  - Victory Biga whip NATTA ROMA Cr 208-1 Syd 390.jpg
    RR AR Denarius 149 BCE Pinarius Natta Roma X - Victory Biga whip NATTA ROMA Cr 208-1 Syd 390

Carthage Electrum - natural GOLD/Silver ore (huge trading empire wiped out by the Romans over 3 wars and 100 years)
    upload_2018-12-12_11-9-8.png
    Carthage Zeugitana 310-270 BCE EL Dekadrachm-Stater 18.5mm 7.27g Tanit Horse 3 pellets in ex MAA 12 SNG COP 136

Join "The Dark Side". Moderns are boring. :D

NLL, dlhill132, BoonTheGoon and 2 others like this.
  18. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

OMG !!! They've invaded Coin Chat !!! :D

Kentucky, BoonTheGoon and Alegandron like this.
  19. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

LOL, we have moved beyond “We have cookies” to ...
    “Resistance is Futile” :D

Besides, how many times have WE been invaded? :)

20. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

We're doomed, DOOMED I tell ya ! :D

Kentucky and Alegandron like this.
  21. BoonTheGoon

Now here is something I just thought of, There are going to be ancient bank note collectors. Also, when does it become ancient instead of just sort of old?

Draft saved Draft deleted