What will happen to your collection when you...

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Only a Poor Old Man, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Understood!

Blue Approves. :D
    Blue dog Avatar.jpg

PeteB, DBDc80, octavius and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

How about an aureus or a stater as a tip?

Broucheion and panzerman like this.
  4. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Good luck to your son. I wouldn't rule anything out. I majored in Egyptian Archaeology & Languages and ended up working on Wall St. and in private equity through an interesting twist of fate. So long as he is following his bliss he will be OK. You don't have to always study business or economics...

5. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

DonnaML likes this.
  6. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Everything I have or will come to have will go to my daughter, wife, cats and whatever critter we'll come to have by that time.

7. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

For me the question is a matter of timing. Of course I would very much like to keep my coins as long as I can but I am not really fond of the idea of leaving my collection in the hands of executors. On the whole I would prefer to sell the collection and use the money either to assist me or to give away to friends and/or charities. Last year I more or less decided to revue what I want to do with the collection in five years. At that point I will be 73 years old. At that point I may decide to auction off my ancient coins or not as the case may be. I suspect I will be doing this revue over time should I be lucky.
    Trajan Ae 25 Caearea Maritima Obv. Head right laureate. Rv. Emperor togate standing left sacrificing 115 A.D. RPC 3955 11.61 grms caesmaritima3.jpg Photo by W. Hansen

8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

While I appreciate the idea of controlling where the coins go, I fall short of cashing in at 73 (considering I am 73) and having no hobby for a month, a year or a few decades. We all know people who lived long past the predictions of doctors and other who were declared healthy the day before they died. 73 is not as old as it used to be unless it is accompanied by other compromises (Covid19 is just one). Will you get a lifetime of enjoyment out of selling the coins?

PeteB, octavius, panzerman and 2 others like this.
  9. svessien

svessien Senior Member

I have thought many times that when I reach your age, I will sell my collection and spend some of the money travelling. Collecting memories is also a great hobby. However, I suspect that wehn I'm 73, I will lean towards sitting at home reading and enjoying coin collecting.
    I may take a fall while climbing long before that, and it's hard to predict the future of my life and society in general. The best focus is probably that of @panzerman: Enjoy every day the best that you can. Coins aren't that important after all. They are, as other hobbies, just some of the seasoning in the big pot of life.

panzerman and DonnaML like this.
  10. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Awesome! Thank you for this, @Alegandron !

panzerman and Alegandron like this.
  11. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

It’s definitely a great question! I think all of us ancient coin collectors would like our collections to be part of our legacy after we’ve departed. Hopefully the folks who inherit these collections will appreciate their historical significance. One of the questions that makes me angry when I read about someone who has died in the news is “What was his/her net worth?:mad:

12. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Eric Newman kept on collecting well into his 100's:) Hobbies are the elixir of longevity, since you will always have new goals to focus on. My great/ great Grandfather in Germany lived well past 100, back in his day rare. However, he kept all his hobbies going to the end. He was into postage stamps/ taxidermy (he mounted birds and had them in display cabinets) Like Doug stated, 73 is young today/ look at Jane Fonda who is 82. MV5BMzQ5NTE2MDAzOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTQ3MTQ3MjE@.jpg

13. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Do I have to? Being a Vietnam veteran, I don't want to!!!!!:mad:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    PeteB, jamesicus, octavius and 7 others like this.
  14. octavius

octavius Well-Known Member

I have been thinking of a trust fund for creating a scholarship at a university for students interested in studying the classics or Roman archeology. Still not sure though.

15. SeptimusT

SeptimusT Well-Known Member

I’m young, but I still want to have a plan for such things. Memento mori. Most museums don’t need more coins, excepting a highly specialized collection which might fit their theme. I have a few select items that I have set aside to offer to certain museums because they are significant but not necessarily valuable. I feel like they deserve to be kept intact and appreciated for what makes them significant.

I think of myself as a custodian with a duty to appreciate and preserve the coins that pass through my hands. I make the interesting items in my collection available for study as it is by publishing them online, contributing them to academic databases, or using them in my writings.

16. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

+1

octavius and Alegandron like this.
  17. Cachecoins

Cachecoins Historia Moneta

I would love to think my daughter would keep them but I am sure they will be sold. I guess it's good they will help her financially but I do cringe thinking about my collection being liquidated.

panzerman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted