What were the first zinc and aluminum coins?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by sakata, Jul 22, 2017.

1. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

We all know that coins are supposed to be made of gold, silver or copper. But in these days of inflated fiat currency almost no circulating coins are made of any of these. This got me thinking.

What was the first world coin issues in pure zinc or pure aluminum. This question could also be extended to other metals such as nickel, tin, steel, iron, etc.

I don't know the answer for any of these metals. So let's have a thread where people can post their candidates for each "off" metal. Or, if you know a definitive answer let us know.

Kentucky likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Kentucky and sakata like this.
  4. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

Aluminum coins started out in the British Uganda territory as far as I know, shortly after the turn of the 20th century. At the end and right after WWI zinc coins were mass produced in huge numbers in Germany.

Zinc, some European countries in WWI in modern times, but also had been used in parts of Asia going back to at least the early 19th century.

Tin was used extensively in the Malay territories going back hundreds of years, often in the denomination called a "pitis". Tin was also used for coinage in the Portuguese India colonies going back to at least the mid 18th century.

5. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Interesting. I had no idea. The still leaves zinc and aluminum, which is m primary question.

6. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

Just thinking back to what I have, several European countries issued zinc coins in World War I, including Germany, Belgium and Luxembourg. I also have Germany coins starting in 1920 made of aluminum. Then there are aluminum coins from Japan from the World War II years, and the French Asian territories from 1945 to the 50s. You see a lot more aluminum starting around 1948 and into the 50s.

sakata likes this.
  7. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Taiwan had some cast zinc coins too in the 1800's

sakata likes this.
  8. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Do you have a more specific date?

9. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

from a pic from a member here asked me to research them and I found them in my 19th century World coin catalog. his pic...

20170719_071831.jpg

1802-1819 and 1820-1841 were the dates in the catalog. both cast zinc coins.

1st coin KM#173a cash(7 Phan) denomination
    2nd coin KM#182c Phan denomination

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
    chrsmat71 and sakata like this.
  10. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

During the WW I many of French and German tokens were made from aluminium.
    21.jpg 22.jpg 71.jpg 72.jpg

chrsmat71 likes this.
  11. Siberian Man

And not only tokens. This is legal coin of German Empire.
    3.jpg 4.jpg

spirityoda and chrsmat71 like this.
  12. Siberian Man

And don't forget about 1/10 penny 1907 from British West Africa. It was aluminium coin too. But I haven't such coin. Alas!

13. Siberian Man

This is my oldest aluminium coin. French token. 1916.
    47.jpg 48.jpg

spirityoda likes this.
  14. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Germany, France, Italy, China, and Japan have aluminum coins.

15. kazuma78

kazuma78 Supporter! Supporter

I believe there are pattern u.s. coins from the 1860s that are made from alumimum

16. 4to2centBC

4to2centBC Well-Known Member

It is general knowledge that Aluminum was only isolated as an element in 1825. It was very expensive to refine until the late 1880's. Except for medallions, I do not expect you will find coins made from aluminum, anywhere, before approx 1889.

Kentucky likes this.
  17. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Or any other metal or alloy. Coins are made of many different elements. Ironically aluminum was quite expensive first ... The earliest aluminum circulation coins were issued for British East and West Africa, in 1907-1908.

Christian

18. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

Here is one from 1908

Nigeria British West Africa KM1 obverse.jpg
    Nigeria British West Africa KM1 reverse.jpg

chrsmat71 and chrisild like this.
  19. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

20. frech001

frech001 New but Old

I have the “Standard Catalog of World Coins” in digital format, so I searched starting with the 1600s and here is what I found: First listed zinc coin: 1663, Vietnam, a Phan KM# 15. First listed aluminum coin: British Bermuda 1793, a Penny (Proof), KM# 8a. Neither zinc or aluminum survive well, however, so finding one of these will be difficult.

sakata likes this.
  21. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

An aluminum coin struck in 1793 would be quite the rarity, given that aluminum wasn't discovered until 1808. :rolleyes:

Even if it were a restrike, it would have to be a very late one. Does the Catalog say anything about that?

Krause is authoritative, but not infallible...

Kentucky likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted