What way do you prefer to sell your coins?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by buddy16cat, Aug 14, 2016.

1. buddy16cat

buddy16cat Well-Known Member

I have a bunch of coins and thinking of different options to sell them. It appears that coin shows and Ebay seem to be the best options. Going to a local coin shop is one option, but seems that they would offer the least and are specific about what they buy. Come to think of it though, I should check a local shop too. What are your experiences? The drawbacks of Ebay is the fees and chance of fraud. Drawback of selling locally is the amount you get but you get cash in hand.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

All shops are not equal. Many would be a excellent option. But some you should run from.
    You have to balance your time and effort to what you expect your return to be.
    Ebay lots of time and fees and some hooligans but if you jump through the hoops you might bring more.
    Show's again you'll have to set up and pay fees to get your price and you'll find lots of people just wanting to cherry pick your stuff.
    good luck either way.

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It depends on what you have to sell. If the lot consists of raw coins you found in circulation or searching rolls, then you probably won't get much interest from a local B&M or dealers at shows. Your best bet would be eBay.

Chris

coinzip likes this.
  5. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

I'm scared to sell anything in person but do on the bigger pieces as shipping costs are ridiculous - like from Craigs list - I sell everything in my driveway with my wife in the window with her .380 auto -(She is a better shot than I am) - but on Ebay the costs are so damn much I only sell small cheap stuff!

Bambam8778 and Alegandron like this.
  6. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

Only coins I have sold are "junk" silver. Trade them for other coins (at melt minus some random percentage) for other coins. Usually at coin shows but also at a local coin shop on Walnut here in Pasadena.

7. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

No way I'd have people strangers coming to my house to view valuables.
    I don't even keep many there.
    Be very carful Markus.

8. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

You mentioned that you sell small cheap stuff, the question would how cheap? If we're talking a couple dollars a local shop is likely your best bet even with higher prices on ebay shipping alone will kill the difference

9. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

I agree. I've sold a few times on Craigslist and meet the buyer somewhere in public. I can't imagine selling anywhere near my house

Birdman#33 likes this.
  10. baseball21

Police station parking lots or lobbies are generally the best if someone is going to do a deal this way when it comes to valuables or electronics. Many police stations around the country are setting up areas for these types of sales to try and cut down on robberies

serafino likes this.
  11. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

That's a good idea. I've never sold very expensive stuff on there so I think inside or outside a Starbucks is fine.

12. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I sell everything in my driveway with my wife in the window with her .380 auto

I am guessing this is a joke, otherwise it seems a peculiarly American way of retailing. I am pretty sure that if someone just grabbed and run, and Sure Shot Sally nailed him like a quail, a charge of conspiracy to murder in the second degree would be brought against both of you.

I have a bunch of coins

If they are stuff you do not want to keep, is it because they are just not all that desirable? If that is so, selling as a lot for what they will fetch is about your only option. It is what I do will all the odds and ends you scoop up sometims buying a whole collection and keeping the pieces you really wanted.
    I enter a tin-full in a local auction and let them fetch what they will. They usually do well enough to cover the modest value I will have allowed them when I bought in.

13. Jeskn

Jeskn New Member

As far as selling at eBay I don't worry of a chance of fraud. Buying is the worry. I print my label with eBay/PayPal shipping. Get free delivery conformation on my bubble wrap mailer. Shipping $2.45. Heavy bulky items in the priority boxes. Rates vary on size.
    Over 100 I may opt in for insurance but not with the post office. You looking at a 6 months or so to recover your money. If the P.O. lists your item as delivered that's good enough for eBay/PayPal up to 600 I think. On high dollar items the only way to ship is registered mail. The post office does not lose that. As far as postal lost goes with just delivery conformation I'm running about 1 out of 100.

14. Jeskn

Jeskn New Member

Oh don't get me wrong I'm not any feebay/payfoul fan. Just know selling coins at a lot of places. It depends of what you have. Slabbed/Raw etc etc ect. Give me a example of a few I would tell you what I would do. If you sell at eBay decent pictures are important.

15. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Depending on what you have - as mentioned - you can always consign them to a dealer to sell for you. Again depending on what it is it could be from 5% to 10% of the sell price they charge you. Just another option.

16. baseball21

That's honestly not true. There is zero risk of buying on eBay and a million different ways to get your refund from there. Selling is where you assume all of the risk on ebay and even if your item says delivered there are ways the scammers can get their money back from you and it can and does happen in a percentage of transactions just like with retails ones

17. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

I prefer to sell at the highest price possible.

or even higher

Jaelus and phankins11 like this.
  18. Jeskn

Jeskn New Member

I must be extremely lucky. 1000s of transactions with 1 or 2 minor problems. So I don't worry.

afantiques likes this.
  19. baseball21

Some people will have problems here and there others won't, just depends on the luck of the draw with the buyers. Really was just clarifying that there is basically no risk to buying on there with the numerous ways buyers can get refunded as long as you don't send them cash in the mail as payment

20. Newbie2015

Newbie2015 Member

That's dangerous! Meet them at a police station.

21. Newbie2015

Newbie2015 Member

Agree.

Draft saved Draft deleted