What was your very first coin? The one that you hooked on collecting?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by cash4coin, Jan 16, 2015.

1. cash4coin

cash4coin ran 20 redlights

I got my 1890-O Morgan when I was 11 years old. A family friend gave it to me. I'm 59 now and still have it.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

I don't remember my first but I do remember riding my bike to the area banks when I was 12 and searching penny rolls right on their sidewalk to fill holes in my Whitman coin folders

micbraun and furham like this.
  4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

First coin......actually, it was first coins that got me hooked. My father gave me some proof sets back in the sixties.

Oh........and I still have 'em. :)

5. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Hoping you allow world coins ?
    Slovakia beetle cross. 2001. I collect "coins with insects". this coin sparked my coin collecting. I have been collecting for 16 years.
    cc 13 067.jpg
    cc 13 065.jpg
    I still collect "coins with insects", and now "coins with hands", "coins with certain stars", "coins with small coins on the coin as the design itself", toned coins, "pop out coins", and large MISC. section lol my long passion is Belgium 10 centimes coins in high grade. mostly world coins.

6. green18

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I don't remember the date/mm, but it was a Morgan dollar. I won it playing 9-Ball in the local poolroom in 1957 when I was 10.

Chris

furham, cash4coin and Seattlite86 like this.
  8. Markus1959

Spanky - is that you??? :)

cash4coin, gronnh20 and green18 like this.
  9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I only saw Spanky in the Little Rascals. Some of the guys in the poolroom called me "Choo Choo".

Chris

10. green18

Just so long as it ain't 'chooch' Chris......:)

11. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

back around 1970 my dad gave me a 1959 proof set (my birth year, still have it) for my b-day, i was hooked an it started, i started saving all old coins i found and since the mint was only place my old man got coins from, i started collecting proof and unc. sets as well..

Chiefbullsit, Markus1959 and green18 like this.
  12. Markus1959

That's great - hopefully he is still alive? My Dad got me into coin collecting when I was 12 (43 years ago) and he's still alive but nothing like the man he used to be!!

cash4coin and ken454 like this.
  13. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

yuppers, still kicking and still buying from the mint..:D

Markus1959 likes this.
  14. Markus1959

That's great!!!! Gotta love it!!

ken454 likes this.
  15. Agilmore01

Agilmore01 Well-Known Member

Mine was a 1915 (P) Barber half. I gave a guy $80. I just Googled the value for it not knowing if it was a P or D. Neither one of us knew what we were doing. I put it in my pocket and rubbed it until I got a lot of the toning off. Now it's covered in hairlines, but I think they were there before I owned it.

Attached Files:

16. Markus1959

Yikes - worn - shoulda left the toning on it, covered up some visible scratches and the worn areas. Oh yeah - I forgot scratches on the coin arent taken into consideration when grading a circulated coin - so I've heard from a genious grader!!.

17. Agilmore01

Agilmore01 Well-Known Member

Yeah, hindsight....still not a bad coin for my very first purchase. If it had turned out to be a Denver, I would have lost out big. I keep it as a memento and a reminder what not to do.

geekpryde likes this.
  18. green18

Must be very generous.........basement grader? devil.gif

19. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I was about the same age when I saw my first Morgan, except that was 1997 for me. It wasn't actually mine but the weight of it was absolutely incredible and I marveled at the history of the coin.

I believe my first coin was a Penny from Great Britain. I couldn't believe that a penny could be so big. I don't have it anymore; my old coin collection disappeared during a move and I had to begin anew.

green18 likes this.
  20. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

It would have to be a silver bicentennial set that my grandfather ordered from the mint. Not only do I still have it, it's still in the box from the mint addressed to my grandfather.

micbraun, silentnviolent and green18 like this.
  21. Markus1959

"Circulated coins are graded based on wear. Circulated coins are graded only on wear.

The grade of a circulated coin is not affected by bag marks.

The grade of a circulated coin is not affected by strike.

Circulated coins are graded based solely on wear.

Repeat after me: Circulated coins are graded based solely on wear. "

I can't remember the "proffesional" coin grader who sent me this but isn't bag marks considered coin wear??? After all, it is after leaving the mint. AND isn't worn hair & eagle feathers on a Morgan from circulation then the cleaned coined passed off as weak strike? I know sometime it is but ALOT of cleaned morgans with wear passed off as weak strikes! Just wondering.

Draft saved Draft deleted