What was your best buy or sell?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Seattlite86, May 3, 2015.

1. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

My wife and I attended a yard sale event where there were several people selling things. We had our own table and made some headway on clearing some excess from the home. On a whim, I brought some of my coins to see what I could sell. I put some Mercs, Liberty Nickels and Steel Wheaties in a cup and waited for people to dig into them. I had one customer come up and ask how much I was selling the Mercury Dimes for. Anticipating that we would haggle, I told him $2.50. He bought 2 and his wife came back and bought 2 more. Very unexpected and it helped me recoup a buck or two from a terrible purchase on dimes I made a year or two back.

Out of curiosity, what was your best buy or sell?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. shiny coins for life

shiny coins for life Active Member

Best buy would be the coin I bought today actually. I bought a 1882 o over s for 50 bucks in ms 63-64 according to what cointalk told me.

However, the best deal I've seen and almost won on eBay was a 1836 gobrect dollar. It sold for $178. I bid 140. It was easily worth thousands

Seattlite86 likes this.
  4. shiny coins for life

5. shiny coins for life

6. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

Your sure the 1836 Dollar was not a fake, a real one would never go that low

Seattlite86 likes this.
  7. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I bought a PCGS AU58 1809 capped bust half dollar for $3000. I recognized it as the xxx edge so I had it reholdered. Then promptly sold it for $6000. That's my biggest profit from 1 coin. But there are folks on CT who have made WAY more than that.

8. coinman1234

I got a nice 1855o seated half in around G-06 without any issues for $12 on ebay, another 1876s for the same price. I paid $9 for a SMS set with a DDO Half Dollar, it took a couple years until I found out, it was the first coin I bought.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  9. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Best sell was a 1998S JFK Matte. I bought it from the Mint (along with the RFK Matte) for $59 and sold it on ebay for $400 in 2000.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  10. shiny coins for life

It looked real.plus a coin friend I know said it looked very real and the seller still had the same rating and no bad feedback.

coinman1234 likes this.
  11. shiny coins for life

It might have made a difference that the coin was from Russia.

12. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Just going out on a limb here, my friend.... but that's not one I would spend much time regretting; depending on how you want to look at it, you could say that in all likelihood you're $140 a head by missing out.

sambyrd44, green18 and Seattlite86 like this.
  13. coinman1234

Are you sure it wasn't some Fantasy Restrike and advertised like that and you didn't notice it??? Some of those can go for quite a bit of money for some weird reason.

14. shiny coins for life

yes it was a real type. and besides this Russian had returns.

15. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I guess my best single hit was a $50 gold eagle that somebody listed at $800 when gold spot was around $1300. That was my first big leap of Buyer Protection faith. It was authentic; sold it a year or so later for $1600.

I might end up doing better dollar-wise, and certainly percentage-wise, with a large lot of culls I won two years ago for $165. It included a holed, engraved proof Trade dollar that I've since had PCGS slab as authentic, a corroded 1912-S nickel, a 1925-S (not 1924-S) Buffalo that I've already sold for (I think) a third of the lot's cost, and some other goodies that I'm likely to get some money out of. But the trade dollar is the big piece there, for sure.

I don't think any buy/sell story on CoinTalk, though, will top this one.

Travlntiques and C-B-D like this.
  16. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

My best buy was this 1990 P 50C Double Struck - Both Broadstuck! I got it for my final bid of $200.00 on Ebay. Even the seller told me that he thought it would sell for a lot more. It is definitely my best buy and keeper! Saw one recently as a "Buy It Now" for a few thousand dollars :bored: 50C BS DS 1990.jpg

17. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I remember that one. Simply awesome!

18. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I only gave a few dollars for this. The FE die was clashed with a $20 gold piece die.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

C-B-D, Travlntiques and Seattlite86 like this.
  19. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Yeah I got a story that blew my mind as well as a couple of friends at work and my wife and when it comes to coins, nothing fazes her. :rolleyes: Anyways, I bought a bunch of tokens and medals from this old time dealer at the flea market, Denio's in Roseville, California. One of the medals I bought was a 1909 Taft Dollar and I didn't know anything about it at all. It was very nice looking and I paid $15 for it. I took it to a coin show but I got there late, anyways some guy tells me that he thinks I have something special but he doesn't know for sure. He wanted me to wait around to talk to his boss but I didn't have the time and I had to leave. So I decided I would place it on ebay and let the bids fly. I was shocked, first few hours hit $200, the next day it hit $700. When all was said and done it sold for $1225.00. Talk about learning something about So Called Dollars. Turns out there were only 250 of them minted and President Taft personally handed them out at the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition held in Seattle. I was floored, and I bought that at a coin shop!! Obviously they didn't know anything about SCD's either. Here's a scan of the SCD and a couple of the pics that I posted with the sale, not the best pics but the only ones I still have. Keep in mind that this happened around 2007. Anyways, my wife always wanted me to tell the owner of the coin shop what happened when I sold a medal I bought from them, but I never did. I wouldn't feel right about rubbing somebody's face in their screw up. Moral of the story to me, is two fold. One, I wish I had it graded before I sold it. And two, keep my eyes peeled and learn as much as I can about anything and everything related to coins. :D HK361_obvTSDollar.jpg HK361_revTSTaft.jpg scanned3-7-2010012[1].jpg scanned3-7-2010014[1].jpg scanned3-7-2010005[1].jpg

20. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

it was maybe like 1994 ???:confused:

I bought a 1911 sandblasted Proof 64 NGC 2.5 IND for $21K from a dealer friend of mine. I immediately asked him to crack it out of the NGC holder, then about a month later I took the coin to the Long Beach show and did the $100 PCGS walk through service and the coin came back PR65. I was offered $47K for the coin and dumb ASS me didn't sell the coin till the market had crashed...:bigtears:

Seattlite86 likes this.
  21. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

My list is easy - 1882 snow-6 IHC. This was back when there was fewer that 5 or 6 know. I bought it at $105 and Rick Snow sold it for $1500. I have also managed to make a few bucks off buying raw coins I thought were under-priced, had them graded and eventually sold them. Nothing as good as the snow-6 coin.

Seattlite86 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted