What was the last circulating silver world coin?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by The Eidolon, Mar 6, 2021.

1. The Eidolon

The Eidolon Well-Known Member

Got this Mexico 1977 100 pesos for melt, because of the hole. It got me to wondering, what was the last normal, intended for circulation silver coin of any country?
    The US made 40% silver half dollars until 1970, right?
    The Mexico 100 peso series went from 1977-79, so that's a few years later.
    Is there any other issue which can beat that?
    I think some of the Mexico Libertads were technically legal tender at the prevailing silver rate, but they still weren't exactly regular circulation coins.
    ob.jpg
    rev.jpg

For comparison, a 1980 Casa de Moneda 1 ounce silver round. This series was made from 1978 to 1980, so it actually coexisted simultaneously with the silver 100 pesos.
    Mexico 1 oz.jpeg

Anyway, please post any circulating late (1964 and after) silver coinage if you like.

cplradar likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. YoloBagels

YoloBagels Well-Known Member

Mexico - 1994, I used to find these in change a lot as a young teen in the mid 2010s. Still have like 20 in my coin binder. They made 20 and 10 peso coins, and they did circulate pretty heavily as most I pulled were VF-XF.

I also have some 50 pesos which were minted in silver up to 2004. They rarely saw circulation though.

s-l300.jpg

4. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

If I recall correctly, it was a bimetallic Mexican 10 Peso coin in the early 90s.

Edit: @YoloBagels beat me to it.

YoloBagels and The Eidolon like this.
  5. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Yes, Mexico used 10 and 20 Pesos in silver up until ca. 1995 or so, then the 50 and 100 peso until 2004. Silver had a low value then, but with the price increase the metal value exceeded the face value of the coin.

Back in 2000 I was buying up 100 FF coins in Paris banks for face value, the face value then exceeded the silver value. But they were somewhat large sized coins that were legal tender but didn't really circulate much and the banks were glad to get rid of them. Similarly in Germany years before I could still get 5 and 10 DM coins in silver because the face value was greater than the melt value. And I even spent a few in Munich.

The Eidolon and YoloBagels like this.
  6. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

what?

7. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

cplradar likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted