What was the Eastern most mint of Alexander's Macedonia?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by JayAg47, Jan 17, 2022.

1. JayAg47

JayAg47 Well-Known Member

It's obvious that Alexander III expanded his empire all the way to India, but I can't seem to find the eastern most city that minted coins in his name?!

Here's one of his lifetime issue from Lampsakos.
    -4th.png

DonnaML, Johndakerftw, Bing and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I was going to check Pella, which may have a map of his mints, but it is down for me (but apparently not for everyone else??). http://numismatics.org/pella/

Let me know if the site is working for you and if it has the information you seek.

JayAg47 likes this.
  4. JayAg47

JayAg47 Well-Known Member

It's also down for me.

5. dltsrq

dltsrq Grumpy Old Man

As a conversation starter, I found a couple of references online that suggest Ekbatana and Susa as possible eastern-most mints during Alexander's lifetime. More conservative writers seem to cite Babylon as the eastern-most certain mint. Posthumous coins and later imitations extend further, of course. It's not my specialty but an interesting question!

DonnaML, TIF and JayAg47 like this.
  6. TIF

TIF Always learning.

DonnaML and JayAg47 like this.
  7. kirispupis

kirispupis Well-Known Member

Ekbatana was supposedly one of Alexander's chief treasuries, but we know of no lifetime coins minted there.

Susa did mint coins during his lifetime. Here's one.

331A0254-Edit.jpg
    Alexander the Great
    Tetradrachm AR 24 mm, 16.80 g, 7 h
    Susa, struck under Koinos, circa 324-323 BCE.
    Price 3829
    Ex Leu​

JayAg47, PeteB, Bing and 4 others like this.
  8. Ed Snible

Ed Snible Well-Known Member

The most Eastern mint that struck the tetradrachms was Ekbatana, but they are not lifetime.

3910299.jpg
    SELEUKID EMPIRE. Seleukos I Nikator. 312-281 BC. AR Tetradrachm (25.5mm, 16.82g). In the name of Alexander III of Macedon. Ekbatana mint. Struck circa 311-295/81 BC.

Ref: SC 202.12; Price 3938; HGC 9, 9e, ESM 485
    Note: This is the Wildwinds.com example.
    Note: Houghton and Lorber (SC, p. 81) suggest this issue is contemporary with those bearing the name of Seleukos.
    Ex Classical Numismatic Group 61 (25 September 2002), lot 479. (Dr. Will Gordon collection)

The authors of Seleucid Coins suggest this type began in 295 BC and was perhaps contemporary with issues in the name of Seleukos.

Draft saved Draft deleted