What Varieties are your Favorite?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by physics-fan3.14, Jan 28, 2020.

1. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Inspired by a recent purchase, I got to thinking: What Varieties are your Favorite? And Why?

Obviously, everyone loves the 1955 DDO (one of the most significant and popular varieties). But, what else is out there? These could be coins you own, or coins you want to own, or coins that you don't really expect to ever own but still think are cool. There are a couple that come instantly to my mind, but I'm curious what y'all think.

For the purpose of this list, lets limit it to varieties only. A "variety" is made when the die is created - doubled dies (obverse or reverse), RPMs, etc. This is different than a die state (which can also be popular) - things like clashes, die cracks, 3 legged buffaloes, bugs bunny halves. Let's save those for another thread.

So, what are your favorite varieties, and why?

paddyman98 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I guess I am more strict when I call something a "variety" versus an "error" like the 55 DDO. Under my definition, I like the raised mound buffalo nickel as my favorite variety, considering it the finest US themed coin struck for circulation.

For your definition, I think maybe the 1844 O double date half dollar.

4. physics-fan3.14

Glad you brought that raised mound buffernick up: I would call that a "subtype." A subtype is an intentional design change, such as raised mound, shield nickel with and without rays, liberty nickel with and without cents, etc.

I know some collectors use the terms interchangeably, or differently than I do, but that's how I think a lot of people use the terms.

Why is the 44O double date your favorite? Can you show us pictures (either of one you own or one online?)

5. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Fair enough. I didn't want to argue about your use without saying what mine was.

Here is a pic of the 1844 O from PCGS. I used to collect the series, and just thought the recut date was so dramatic its about as bad as you could imagine. I have no idea what the mint employee was thinking when he punched the first date in. Ever see a worst placement of a date?

1844 O.png

Jaelus, NSP, Inspector43 and 2 others like this.
  6. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

Cool thread.

My favorite is the 1851/81 large cent. It was my first cherry pick as a newer collector. I picked it up out a junk bin for $16 at my first coin show which was at FUN in Dallas in 2015. It was intended to just be a filler for my large cent hole in my 7070. At the time I didn’t know much about varieties or how to grade coins. Eventually my interests became more focused and while reviewing my collection and adjusting it I noticed this pick up actually was an 1851/81.

Through this coin I dove deeper into cointalk which actually lead me to GTG threads and eventually your book. I slowly began to learn the skill of grading and then over time began to pick up on the knowledge of numismatics mostly through this venue. After learning more I decided to test my ability to pick up on the diagnostics from sellers on eBay. I cherry picked two more 1851/81s for next to nothing. I decided to then see if I could cherry the 1844/81 so I would have both varieties of the series. I eventually cherried one of those which also happened to be my first time to do a snipe bid because someone else saw it also. These are some of my favorite coins in my collection.

1st cherry FUN show
    BB5E6292-DC7C-4154-8493-DF673D8A1AE9.jpeg

2nd cherry

AD063201-AAD9-45F3-887D-0FC6964BD27E.jpeg

3rd cherry
    5FBA0D7E-1F5D-4E9F-91D9-CDF02E15D27A.jpeg

1st 1844/81 cherry
    EA8D93B9-47AC-4FB5-AFD7-3354F74DE968.jpeg

7. physics-fan3.14

Huh, it's *really* interesting that you both chose 1844 RPDs! Whoever they had punching dates that year really needed to get fired - those are way off!

kSigSteve and medoraman like this.
  8. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

Way to much PBR at the mint that year.

10AD34DF-F4F3-4A0C-9092-EEB01D6595EE.png

green18 likes this.
  9. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

One of my favorite are over-dates .
    Here's a nice example of the 1960-D, Lincoln over date .
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    One day I will own all three, of the 1960 proof, Lincoln over-dates .

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  10. physics-fan3.14

Is that a large over small overdate? Not the traditional overdate (such as 1829/7), but it counts!

Why do you like that one so much? Does it have personal meaning to you? Did you find it in a roll, or when you were young? Or do you just think it looks cool?

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  11. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Small over large date .
    Got the one I posted, from Ken Potter .

I learned a lesson about purchasing coins, before you receive them .
    Some old folks seem to forget, that you already paid them for it ..

That a whole other story and still hasn't been straighten out yet ...

12. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

I really like and would like to own the 1939 5C Doubled Monticello in high mint state.

[​IMG]

I own, but dont really care about, the 1943/2-P 5C. ( Dont sic @Lehigh96 on me, LOL)

Treashunt likes this.
  13. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Type 1 Standing Liberty Quarter.

14. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

15. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Any overdate in my book.

16. physics-fan3.14

That's a subtype and not a variety. Is there a variety on the 1916 SLQ that you really like? Or is there some actual variety that you are fond of?

17. physics-fan3.14

On the spot: pick one!

Which one is your favorite? (there are so many!)

18. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

No real favorite. I just like them all and I buy what I can. :)

19. physics-fan3.14

Your non-answer is unacceptable in this thread.

As punishment, you are sentenced to post your favorite two overdates, and explain why you like them.

green18 likes this.
  20. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

rofl.gif rofl.gif

21. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

Disclaimer: I do not own either of these coins and both images are PCGS TrueViews. Maybe someday I’ll own one!

Some of my favorite varieties are the two 25/50 capped bust quarters. The style of numerals used to construct the “25/50 C.” is the same used to make the 1818 reverses, suggesting that this die was made in 1818 but was set aside because of how badly the engraver messed it up. Evidently the engraver thought he was making a half dollar die, but then realized his mistake and tried to correct it as best he could by punching “25” over the “50.” The die wouldn’t see use until 1822, when it was used to strike the 1822 B-2 die marriage. The die saw the light of day again in 1828 when it was used to strike 1828 B-3.

FDC56AE7-D39C-4773-96F7-2DDB16521922.jpeg 1E019A0E-BEA2-486B-AD93-556CF7F9CF55.jpeg

Oddly enough, there is another blundered 1818 reverse that was used to strike two die marriages in 1819. This other reverse isn’t quite as bad as the 25/50 reverse, but The “5” in “25 C.” is clearly repunched. This coin is also not mine, and the image is another PCGS TrueView.

9415CC13-12DE-4464-875D-78484D2C65A3.jpeg

Eduard likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted