What Type Of Errors Are These?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by AOmonsta, Jun 9, 2011.

1. AOmonsta

AOmonsta New Member

The only type of errors I know anything about is doubling, rpd, rpm's and those types. Not too familiar with the off-center and clip stuff. Any help telling me about these coins would be appreciated.

1st coin:

[​IMG]

2nd coin:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dbkinvestments

dbkinvestments New Member

First coin definately shows a doubled rim and appears to be struck off center. Second coin looks like someone took a grinder to it due to the raised area. Clip errors are usually smooth.

[​IMG]

4. AOmonsta

AOmonsta New Member

Oh I see what you mean. Thanks.

5. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

Ya know sometimes when you don't know what you are talking about it's best to just say nothing. For the first coin, how can you tell it's struck off center or if it's just a misaligned die without seeing the reverse? On the second coin that could very well be a clipped planchet. It's hard to tell from the fuzzy pics. But since you determined it was PMD the OP probably went and spent what could have been a couple dollar coin because of bad advice.:rollling:

6. AOmonsta

AOmonsta New Member

Hey man there's no need to go on the attack on the other guy. Seems to me he was just trying to help. Plus these are just coins I found roll searching.

7. Harley.d

Harley.d Love coins

Lets calm down.

8. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

Wasn't trying to be mean, it just irks me when someone puts out wrong info and someone accepts it as fact. Especially on two types of errors that have a ton of info on the web that can be found with a minimum of searching.

For clipped planchet errors just google Blaksley effect.

For offcenter strikes and misaligned dies the search is self explanitory.

9. tonedcoins

tonedcoins New Member

No need to argue but I understand what d.t. means. Oh and by the way, the first coin is not an off center. It is actually a broad strike. There is a difference between both. The other coin is a straight clip to be more specific.

10. dbkinvestments

1st coin looks like rim doubling or broadstruck, 2nd coin looks like a clip but I don't think it's a genuine clip due to the fact it looks to jagged.

11. dbkinvestments

Ya know dt I just got into this error and variety stuff but for someone who don't know what he's talking about sure owns a very successful grading service!...All opinion's welcomed I thought, maybe we all can learn something to!

12. aicgsgrading

aicgsgrading Numismatics Professional

Broad Strike, Possible Straight Clip.

13. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The first coin could be either a Misaligned die, or an uncentered broadstrike. I lean toward the misaligned die because it is about a hundred times more common and the coin still appears to be round.

The second coin is an incomplete planchet or a clipped planchet. It appears to be a straight clip.

14. Harley.d

Harley.d Love coins

First: MAD second: not sure

15. iGradeMS70

iGradeMS70 AKA BustHalfBrian

Looks like the first coin has been double-struck in the collar. On the second coin I see no flaws.

-Brian

16. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

The photos are not the best (especially of the reverse where the area in question is shaded) but a portion of the coin is missing at 12:00 on the obverse (6:00 on the reverse). Whether it is a genuine clip or PMD (cut after it left the Mint) cannot be determined from those photos.

17. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

I agree with this answer completely. Early 80's cents are commonly found with misaligned dies.

The second coin looks to be a genuine clip.

Draft saved Draft deleted