What type of error would this be ?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Azyl, Jun 12, 2021.

1. Azyl

Azyl New Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Not an error. It is a dryer coin.

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

There is no telling what might have caused it, but to me, it is not a Mint error.

5. cpm9ball

I agree that it looks like a dryer coin, but the gouge along the reverse perimeter doesn't look like it could have happened in a dryer. Have you ever seen this before on a dryer coin?

6. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

I assume by in-between columns, you are referring to the extra lines above and beside the columns. These are the roof and rear columns, shown to give perspective to the memorial, Also, in the center, is a seated Abe. Other than that it is a coin that has numerous plating blisters and looks to have been trapped in a rotating cylinder, such as a dryer, and what looks like a deep gouge along the perimeter of the obverse

7. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Definitely Heat

YankeeDime likes this.
  8. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Well acid didn't seem to be appropriate all the copper is there. I don't know what to think about that ring. It cold have been pinched in the dryer with another coin/ Maybe?

9. Silverpop

Silverpop Well-Known Member

what you have is a post mint damaged coin nothing more, nothing less

10. cpm9ball

If only dryers could talk!

11. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

My guess is a combination of worn die, circ. wear and PMD. The lettering on both sides are very close to the rim, all the details are smushed and a dryer could have been the culprit for the damage. On the rev., the ring is a result of the worn die…no place left for the metal to flow at strike…jmho…Spark

12. Azyl

Azyl New Member

Don’t think it’s dryer coin trust on obverse looks to have more letters stairs on reverse have cud’s very interesting though think some kind of lam error found in bu roll of 2002s thanks for input

13. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

High heat damage to a thinly coated Zincoln. Certainly deserves a quick spend or bury it someplace before it deteriorates completely.

YankeeDime likes this.
  14. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Cud's involve the rim and from there extend into the fields.They do not start on the central devices

15. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

It couldn't come out of the minting process looking like that so it is not a mint error. Post mint damage IMO. Jim

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  16. YankeeDime

YankeeDime non-conformant

That was my thought too. As thin as the plating is on the new cents is highly unlikely mechanical PMD would have left it intact.

Draft saved Draft deleted