What to look for in US Jefferson Nickels.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by More5FrancCoins, Dec 8, 2017.

1. More5FrancCoins

More5FrancCoins New Member

I started trying to look through my pile of US nickels in an attempt to find more 2009 dates. I remember reading somewhere rolls of 2009s sell for more than 40 dollars on ebay. This made me thinking, I do have quite a few, and some of them were minted before war nickels were produced.

Is it worth it to keep dates from 2003-4, 2011-present? Or even 70s, 60s, 50s, and so on?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Those rolls that are selling on Ebay are original, bank-wrapped rolls that have never been opened - not rolls put together from change. (I'm assuming the coins you have are circulated).

As a general rule, any nickels from 1950 through the present are pocket change, and should be spent.

The notable exception is 1950D - which is a scarce coin and fetches a few dollars even in lower circulated grades.

Save anything from the 30's and 40's.

LA_Geezer likes this.
  4. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

What about the 54 S/D or 55 D/S?

tommyc03 likes this.
  5. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

There are plenty of doubled die coins from recent years to look for. Another CT'er has found many and helped to contribute new "Discovery" pieces to two web sites. I will note-these are mostly very minor errors and not worth a whole lot but are fun. You could check Brian Ribar's site at www.briansvarietycoins.com and he is recommended by John Wexler who has his own site at www.doubleddie.com.

6. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

The 2009 was a lower mintage, but they really aren't worth much more than face value. Here is a list of keepers, not including Over/ MMs etc.

1954-S
    1953-S
    1952-S
    1951-S
    1950-D
    1949-S
    1948-S
    1946-S
    1945-P silver
    1945-D silver
    1945-S silver
    1944-P silver
    1944-D silver
    1944-S silver
    1943-P silver
    1943-D silver
    1943-S silver
    1942-S silver
    1942-P silver
    1942-D
    1939-S
    1939-D
    1938-S
    1938-D

SchwaVB57 and tommyc03 like this.
  7. John barron

John barron New Member

I came a cross a 1974 nickel when I moved into my house. The nickel wouldn’t have got my attention Any other time. But I found it hidden and put in a zip lock bag in my attic. So I compared it too my other 1974 nickel I had and they were different. The biggest difference was the size of the coin. It is a little bit smaller and lettering on it was also different than the other one I have. I’m new at this whole coin collecting, so I have no idea about it. I would love some help on knowing what I have. I looked on the Google but didn’t find anything on it.

8. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Storing coins in the attic is not a good idea, unless it is climate controlled.

9. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Nice varieties but the 42 Horz D/D and the 43/2 are worth more ...the 42 D/D is steadiy going upwards in all grades.

SchwaVB57 likes this.
  10. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

The 2009s should be on that list. Say what you want, but look at recent eBay sales. Compare them to sales for any other coin mentioned.

When people stop paying almost $3 each for them, (I personally think that they’re overpriced), then take them off the list as “keepers”.

FWIW, I think that they’re worth more than face.

Kasia likes this.
  11. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

I search 500 plus dollars a month of Nickels from Brink's bank rolls. I have only found 3 P and 2 D nickels in circulation since 2009. They are scarce in my neck of the woods.

12. mikenoodle

They are scarce pretty much everywhere, but so were 1950-Ds. The problem is that they (the 50-Ds) were so hoarded that almost all of them are in MS and therefore not very valuable even in high grade.

13. Paddy54

For now maybe in the long run they will be worth face .
    One who collects nickels in general for the most part aren't going to break the bank.
    Now I sure there are those whom will dispute my statement.
    True there's plenty of nickels who have been sold over the years for moon money.
    However lets look at a five cent coin.
    Besides cents probably o e of the most minted coins. And most minted not only in the US but world wide. So a radio of those who are worth moon money and those that are not is an unreal number in its self.
    Now let's look at the1950 D unc. In 1964 a $35 coin $35 in today' money adjusted for inflation $350. Cost of a MS-64 1950 D in 2018 money around $15/$18 .
    The mintage of the 2009 nickel no matter the mint mark will never demand moon money unless it is a perfect grade.....and even then those of us whom know the series will never pay a premium for a nickel hoaded to increase demands knowing all to well it is throwing good Money after bad.

14. Paddy54

Look at two of the lowest mintage Jefferson' the 94 and 97 matte finished nickels....the 97 has a mintage of only 25k!
    And no one is sitting on a pile of these......

15. mikenoodle

It always amazed me that the matte Jeffersons didn’t become huge favorites, but I still think that the series is undervalued, especially fully struck Nickels from years prior to 1967 when they strengthened the steps on the hubs.

16. Paddy54

And I do agree....but collectors discount nickels ,their interest focused on silver ,gold,and even copper more so then the 5 cent piece.
    However...turn to the rear of the Red Book...Look at the top 10 auctions what they were and value realized. What denomination do you see?

17. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Can you take pictures of the Nickel.. both sides next to a normal nickel?

John barron likes this.
  18. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Likely yes, but don't jump to conclusions.

I purchased a couple rolls of 2009 nickels and they are still still unopened. They were expensive and I have not mustered up the nerve to open them. Back in 2011 and also now in 2017 I got rolls of those new nickels from the bank. 2011 was kind of ok, but many went into circulation... same with 2017 but they were in worse shape... dings, hits, etc. Of a full box of the 2017 from Loomis, (which rolls also sometimes have a stray older, like 2000 so I think there were stray coins left in the hopper or whatever when Loomis added all the new 2017D ones) I have yet to find one that is really acceptable that might grade 64+ or 65, because of hits. They are fully lusterous, but the handling and machinery is definitely taking a toll. The Jefferson portrait seems to really attract hits and scuffs, even more so than the reverses Monticello. I have only opened four 2017D rolls but I think if I am lucky I might find one or two nickels that escape big or nasty looking hits enough to grade a MS65. Out of 50 rolls. You do the math as to whether the newer ones are going to grade well after shipping and rolling. I think it will be scarce to rare for superior ones.

I am concerned that if I open the 2009 rolls I will have wasted my money, and not get any really nice ones. I think I will sell the rolls and let someone else take the chance.

So ultimately, getting circulation high grade Jeffies may not be very likely.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
    Stevearino and SchwaVB57 like this.
  19. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

Earlier dates with full steps can command a premium. Dates like 1953-S with full steps are hard to find.

20. Ray Snader

Ray Snader New Member

Anyone heard anything lately on the report that the US Mint will stop producing pennies and nickels, like Canada did ?

21. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Last I saw there have been rumblings to do the COINS act which would eliminate pennies (cents) for ten years, eliminate one dollar bills and replace the dollar bills with one dollar coins, and reduce the cost of nickel production.

IMO it is stupid because if people liked the dollar coins here they would have been using the SBA's and the Sacs readily already and they don't. As far as only stopping production of cents for ten years, that is also a folly, because at some point someone will think it is an awful idea and then it may have a rush job back into production and never be gone.

Society can do without the cent, people will adjust because many people don't care for cents anyways.

But it would be better to stop dollar coin production and half dollar production completely and only mint nickels, dimes, and quarters for circulation. Keep the dollar bill for now.

Stevearino likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted