What to look for in pocket change

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Travis G, Mar 13, 2021.

1. Travis G

Travis G Active Member

I see so many rookies think they found the next error coin just like I used to. Do you regulars on here check all your pocket change and what's the most valuable coin you've found in pocket change

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I usually just see if there are any wheat cents. Most have little value, but I sometimes keep them.

4. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

I can't remember a time in the last 53 years I didn't look at every single coin to pass through my hands. I've even got my wife checking for wheaties and silver. And she has less than zero interest in coin collecting.

Randy Abercrombie and 1stSgt22 like this.
  5. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Since my eyesight (even with reading glasses) has decreased in quality as I've gotten older, I can no longer see my pocket change clearly enough to read dates or mintmarks. Not without whipping out a loupe. So I don't examine it very closely anymore on a daily basis. Still, if something catches my eye, like the telltale color of an old nickel or a silver coin, or wheat ears on the back of an old cent, I definitely pluck it out.

Randy Abercrombie and 1stSgt22 like this.
  6. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I always check mine, I've found some DD,WAMS but this is my favorite. 2006P ND Cud AU55 b-horz.jpg

7. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

A 1908 Barber dime. Got it in change at a Woolworth's store probably 30 to 35 years ago.

GH#75, dwhiz and lordmarcovan like this.
  8. Harley reese

Harley reese New Member

I'm new to all of this. I really want to know if anyone else can see what I'm seeing

9. Harley reese

Harley reese New Member

Mind if I upload the pictures?

10. lordmarcovan

Hi, and welcome. If you have something specific that you’re wanting to ask questions about, then you should probably start your own thread. In any event, yes, you may upload pics.

(Also, you may click here to enter my free giveaway contest, if you like. This month’s drawing will be happening fairly soon.)

11. Harley reese

Harley reese New Member

12. Harley reese

Harley reese New Member

13. lordmarcovan

Keep trying. Upload an attachment.

14. 1stSgt22

1stSgt22 I'm just me!

I was buying a couple of wheat cents at an antique store a few years ago and got a wheat cent in my change!! Ironic!!!!

William F and expat like this.
  15. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

16. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

For me a 1915 P Lincoln wheat cent in AU, possibly still mint state. I can't tell for sure which side it falls on which leads me to believe it might be low mint state.... I found it in change so its at least very lightly circulated but may still grade low mintstate if I sent it in.

That's probably the most valuable of a find.
    I've found rim cud quarters and WAM cents 1998 and 2000s but I have to say it's been decades of roll searching and checking change and the finds are few and far between. Anyone getting into it new needs to realize there are finds but it's just not going to be every coin you look at or every 100 or every 1000 even and even then it's usually a couple dollars, not a legendary/valuable find. Even W quarters or silver finds are few and far between unless extreme lucky. Most things that catch your eye are damage which is why it's important to read up on what you are looking for and what is post mint damage and be able to tell the difference. The most successful at it likely know most of the cherry pickers guide off memory at least by date and mint marks for at least the one coin denomination and type they search and use the book and magnification for confirmation.
    Every single thing in the hobby there is to know is a massive undertaking, I think most folks have a decent reference book collection to consult for refreshers.

I think people getting into it watch YouTube and think it's easy and try and think they are everywhere and every time they look will find something, because those people on youtube are always finding something. Nobody would watch it if they got skunked, they are adding in finds to make it more interesting. At least most of them are.

Heck I think some of the roll hunters on here that post finds are buying them hahaahaaha!

17. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I too have old eye syndrome. I will look for wheat ears on the reverse of my cents and that is about it..... I did however pick up a misaligned die strike dime last year. Certainly not a high value coin, but was cool to find in my pocket change especially with my fading eyesight!

18. DM1

DM1 Active Member

My best find was a "V" nickel.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted