What to do?????

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Quant.Geek, Sep 28, 2019.

1. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

As some CoinTalkers might know, I have had a string of bad luck with Class C Folles. Several of them got stolen in the mail, including the following one, almost 5 years ago:

[​IMG]

I kept it on my gallery in FORVM all these years as I really liked it, but now I spotted it in the latest Ares Auction 2! Whats even worse is that it closed for EUR675! Now, I certainly didn't pay that much, let alone even EUR100. I really want it back and I sent a note to both Biddr admins and the auction house. Hopefully, I don't come looking like a greedy bastard. It is one of several coins I lost in that batch of coins :(. Is my action appropriate???

upload_2019-9-28_16-24-34.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Contact the police, and stay on top of the auction house. They don't just get to sell stolen property. It is still your property, and it should be returned to you, and the buyer refunded. Seller must be investigated to see how he got a hold of this coin, and maybe with a little investigation the original thief can be apprehended.

4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Is it still your property? Did you accept a refund for the coin after it was lost in the mail? If so, wouln't the owner be the person or company that sold it to you, or the consignor?

Or, maybe the coin resurfaced some time ago and has changed hands more than once since the time you bought it and it was lost (maybe it was found and the seller didn't tell you).

We need more information :).

5. Quant.Geek

Thanks Salient! I think the original coin was bought on Ebay five years ago and I still have the original email, etc indicating the sale. It is definitely going to be interesting to see what the Auction house is going to do, especially since I am a bidder. I wish I saw the lot earlier as I just noticed it today...

6. Quant.Geek

I never got a refund for the lost coin, unfortunately and I don't know if it exchanged hands multiple times since then. So, no I was never compensated for the loss of the goods. If I was, then it would not be my property anymore as I got compensated.

Nicholas Molinari, Andres2 and TIF like this.
  7. Aleph

Aleph Well-Known Member

If you have proof of sale, it is your coin. The problem here enforcement. International can be tricky, but yes contacting the auction house and then police are a good first step.

Nicholas Molinari and TIF like this.
  8. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

It is also unfortunate that some bozo cleaned it.

Draft saved Draft deleted