What to do with a 2015-D box of nickels...

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by somecoinguy, Sep 18, 2021.

1. somecoinguy

somecoinguy Member

Hey all,

I've been going through my collection recently and I found a box of BU 2015-D Nickels that has been in my closet since the last time I was really into coin roll hunting, which was back in 2015 :)

Anyway... I'm not sure what to do with them, they are all still in their N.F String & Son rolls. Should I start cracking them open? I don't see any major/well known errors for 2015-D nickels when I search online, but may be able to find a clipped or blank planchet if I'm lucky. Take them back to the bank? I could try to sell the rolls online and make a few bucks, but that seems like it would be more work than it's really worth.

I don't know, just wanted to get your opinion on it before committing to a decision! Currently I'm sort of leaning towards just opening them up and seeing if I can find anything cool. If I were to open them up, anything that you know of other than what I have already mentioned to look out for?

Anyway, thanks in advance!

1stSgt22 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Beardigger

Beardigger Well-Known Member

I'd open a couple to confirm they are solid 2015 D. If they are, I'd take them in and trade them for other rolls to search. But That is just me.

Noah Worke, 1stSgt22 and somecoinguy like this.
  4. JPD3

JPD3 Well-Known Member

If you decide to open them up (as you stated you're leaning that way), you could look for 'greasers', die chips, die cracks and misaligned dies. Even though most errors found would be minor, they would at least increase the value over face.

somecoinguy and 1stSgt22 like this.
  5. 1stSgt22

1stSgt22 I'm just me!

I'd open them, see what I can find, and spend the rest, or take them to the bank and trade for another roll!! Won't see any significant increase in value until 3015!!! IMHO LOL

JPD3 and somecoinguy like this.
  6. somecoinguy

somecoinguy Member

I think that settles it! I will start going through the rolls looking for anything interesting I can find, and then bring them back to the bank! I can't believe I have had these things for 6 years sitting in my closet haha. I'll probably do the same for the box of 2015-D Cents I picked up around the same time :rolleyes:

I'll be sure to update here once I finish going through them to update you on any finds!

7. somecoinguy

somecoinguy Member

Yeah... so I opened a few rolls and it's just so boring going through the same date knowing that I have to re-roll them! ha! So I'm just going to bring them to the bank later this week. Of the 6 rolls that I did open it was just a lot of shiny nickels :D

Anyway, thanks for the discussion and viewpoints! It definitely helped me decide what to do!

8. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Really I would go through them all strike throughs etc some more special finds are quite possible.

9. somecoinguy

somecoinguy Member

Yeah, I just saw that thread about the strike throughs someone found and it made me want to finish going through them before taking them back to the bank, time to get crackin'!

potty dollar 1878 likes this.
  10. RomaniGypsy

RomaniGypsy Active Member

Keep them and sell the rolls at some point. They're already worth more than face, and the longer you keep them, the more they'll be worth. Heck, if you're relatively local and I wouldn't have to pay for shipping, I'd buy them all from you at face plus a teeny bit.

somecoinguy likes this.
  11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Keep a few as it can’t hurt anything.

somecoinguy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted