What to do with 4 rolls of Kennedy Halves?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Skip Dyrda, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Skip Dyrda

Skip Dyrda New Member

Hi, there. I'm not actually a coin collector in the serious sense but have a small collection, some of which were left to me by my father.

Specifically, I have 4 rolls of 1964 Kennedy Halves. They may be uncirculated. At least, the top and bottoms in each roll look perfect to my eye.
    The rolls are hard plastic and have some very old masking tape around the plastic (not touching the coins. So the coins are encased in these plastic tubes....I'm not even sure how they come apart.
    My questions....
    First, should I even remove the coins from the tubes?
    And to sort of answer my own question, I'm thinkin that I should so I can look through them. Could there be any in there that are more valuable than the normal 1964 Kennedy?
    How should I go about selling? I've looked on Ebay and the prices are all over the place. A local dealer pays only what the silver is worth, which was $9.50/coin as of 8/5/2020.

Any suggestions? I'd like to sell them but want to be careful that I'm not giving them away.
    Thanks in advance. IMG_7726.jpg IMG_7727.jpg IMG_7728.jpg IMG_7729.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Skip Dyrda

Skip Dyrda New Member

When I looked at my own photos, I noticed that that plastic tube seemed to have a seam. Under the tape. So I removed the tape, which was ancient...some kind of fabric tape. The tube opened easily and I gently slide the coins out and they are all bright and shiny....(obviously not the proper terminology for coins...that's just what I see:))

4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

They are 90% silver so hold on to them for now. Welcome to CT.

5. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

Melt sounds about right for a dealer offer. If you can find a buyer they seem to be selling for $12+ in some venues.

6. J.T. Parker

J.T. Parker Well-Known Member

Greetings,
    (Presently) Silver Kennedy rolls are selling on ePay for from $220-$260 per roll so with approximately $1000 worth of silver, it's really your call.
    Prices may rise or fall but it's always nice to have a bit O' silver stashed away.
    Regards,
    J.T.

7. Skip Dyrda

Skip Dyrda New Member

Thank you.

So if they are truly uncirculated, which they appear to be, are they any more valuable than one that was in circulation? Or is all the value in the silver?

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Just about all '64 Coins are uncirculated as that was the last year of silver coins. In '65 they became clad. The Halves went to 40% silver and '69 was the last year for that.

9. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Realistically, the dealer made you a solid offer. The were worth more than that on the 6th, because silver went up sharply yesterday, but they're back down to about the same level now.

They'd sell for a higher price on eBay, but after eBay's 10% cut, PayPal's 3% cut, and shipping, you wouldn't be much further ahead -- plus there's the time and risk involved (there are some fraudulent buyers on eBay).

It's unlikely any coins in the rolls would be worth enough more to justify the time and effort of going through them one by one. I'm pretty sure no dealer would do it.

You've picked a good time to sell, in my opinion. Silver hasn't been this high in years. It might go higher, but it also might fall back.

Welcome to CoinTalk!

10. Skip Dyrda

Skip Dyrda New Member

Thanks for all the replies! Great info

11. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Yeah... Silver has been on a wild uphill ride. Anybody’s guess when it may tip back down. If you choose to sell, yes it is a good time to do so. Silver hasn’t been this high for ten years..... Conversely, holding them is never a bad option either..... If you hold them though it’s entirely possibly that the silver bug may bite!

Collecting Nut likes this.
  12. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

I would agree melt is a very good offer. This is only possible since the premiums of all silver are sky high right now. In the past, you would never receive an offer for melt, it would be less than that. Sounds like the dealer is being fair to you. Many aren't.

13. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

Welcome to CT. Remember to hold them by the edge. You don't want to fingermark them. If they are truly uncirculated, they are worth a premium over melt. I just sold a few of my duplicate well circulated Walker and Franklin halves today and got 19X face for them. Your JFKs, if they are uncirculated, might bring about $10 to $12 a coin, otherwise they are worth melt value which right now would be $9.50 apiece. Actually, uncirculated 1964 JFKs are pretty common. They had the highest mintage BY FAR of any silver half dollar up until that time. When they came out in 1964, many people hoarded them because they wanted to save them as a memento, plus at the time there were rumors going around about the possibility of eliminating silver from coins, which happened the next year.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted