What To Do With $100 Face Pre-1960 Nickels

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Agilmore01, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Agilmore01

Agilmore01 Well-Known Member

Over the past few years, I have been pulling from rolls all pre 1960 nickels as many of us nickel collectors do. The silver ones go in a separate bin, but all the rest are sorted by date in tubes in a box. I may be ready to unload them, and was wondering if anyone has tried to sell an amount like this before, and what was/is the best way to do it? Would you sell it by full roll dates, or mixed date rolls (throw all in a bucket and mix them up), or as a whole box already sorted? My LCS said he would pay me $0.055 - $0.06 per nickel since he has a guy who buys them from him. It weighs a ton, so if I had to sell on ebay and ship it, it would probably go in a flat rate box for probably $20+ just for shipping. Any suggestions or had any luck yourself doing this?

I am trying to be careful not to upset the mods by advertising it here for sale. Just asking advice for when I am ready.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

Pull out any nicer grades, list them on the bay and then I would just say sell the rest to your LCS.

4. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Another possibility, if interested, would be to put together a few Whitman folders.... I normally get ATLEAST $20,sometimes $30 a pop for these, even when they are partially filled,or just missing the '50D and 1939 D&S

rooman9 and Agilmore01 like this.
  5. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

Heavycam: Where do you sell the partial sets?

6. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Flea Market OR to a buddy at the local coin show for $20, he then sells - for $25-$30 depending how nice and what is included

You would be surprised at the amount of non-collectors, that buy these folders, for themselves or for a loved one

Plus, there are alot of cherry-pickers, who will drop $20 on a folder,just to go through and pull out all the variety coins(myself included)

Draft saved Draft deleted