What to do when the Dansco coin album hole is too big / too small?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by gxseries, Aug 16, 2017.

1. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

I'm in this situation where the hole is a bit too big for the coin. The coin would rattle and this annoyed me. The only solution that I could think of is to use small slit of paper and glue around the edge of the hole. I am under the impression that this could tone the coin in a negative way.

On the other hand, if the hole is too small, I believe one could sand it down?

Would like to hear your opinions / experience on this. :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

How about buying a page which has the right sized hole?

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Contact the company where you purchased the album and see if they will replace the page.

Chris

Kentucky likes this.
  5. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Buy slightly smaller coins. :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

6. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

A tool from the olden days :)

cutter.JPG

Seriously, do not use paper, but thin strips of polyethlene ( maybe from a small zip lock type of bag) would do no harm.

Jim

gronnh20 likes this.
  7. SilverWilliesCoinsdotcom

SilverWilliesCoinsdotcom Well-Known Member

Could sand the coin down, too? If it's silver, save the dust, shavings for melt value?
    Or? Wash it in hot water, maybe it will shrink, like cotton underwear.

8. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

I need one of those. It is hard to find punches the size of coins.

9. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Darn it! I left the time machine in my other pants, too.

10. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I have a set of these

cork.jpg

11. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Use them to put holes in Kurt's time machine theory....which I am sure he will espouse :)

Kentucky likes this.
  12. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Depending on the album/series that may not be possible/help. If you have a series that overlaps the period when they switched for open to close collar, or the series is of open collar coins the holes CAN'T match the coins. In the open collar coins every coin is a different size how do you make an album with holes for that? Typically what they do is get an average size and make them for that. That means most coins will either be too large or too small for the hole. For the 7070 the Coronet Large cent covers from 1816 to 1839. Before 1836 they are open collar, 1836 to 39 they a close collar and all the same size. Since they don't know what date you will put in there they make it the average size for the open collar. If you put in a 1836 or later it going to rattle around.

One thing some people do is cut shims out of an old page window plastic, or from a non-pvc currency holder. The shims are inert and clear.

As for when the holes are too small, some people with use a coin that is just slightly larger than the hole, insert it perpendicular tot he page and then use it as a ream to gently enlarge the hole.

Oldhoopster and dwhiz like this.
  13. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Thanks Conder101, I like your solution.

As mentioned by Conder101, this coin album is out of production for more than 50 years (!). Even finding another copy of this album is a near impossible task where I see it offered on the market once every two years, if not longer.

Draft saved Draft deleted