What to do when receiving damaged ogp???

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Johndoe2000$, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

I forgot to mention that the shipping cost was $5. Wouldn't that easily cover the amount for a flat rate box? I wouldn't ship anything that could be crushed/damaged easily inside a flexible plastic bubble wrap envelope. To avoid this type of issue.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I wonder if it's still more complex than we thought. Here's the context of the quote @Conder101 provided:

https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/609.htm

I wonder if eBay's postage-purchasing system is considered part of eVS? Here's the relevant page for that:

https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/705.htm#ep1439623

Did the seller use an eBay-purchased postage label?

4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Flat-rate boxes start at $6.45 with the eBay discount. (It's fresh in my mind, because I just sent one. A single slabbed coin, and I would've loved to have used a $2.67 padded mailer, but I promised Priority Mail in the listing and non-flat-rate PM is even more expensive than the flat-rate box.)

5. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Indeed, and a thanks from me as well.

As for the recent mention of the (remote) possibility of damage prior to shipping, I wouldn't try to make the guy out to be the villain here. Even aside from the fact that you may have been able to identify the cause from the packaging, all things considered, it's much, much more likely the damage is from shipping. I wouldn't overthink this and/or possibly turn it into something it's not.

6. Johndoe2000$

7. Johndoe2000$

I don't want to trouble the seller, or accuse them of shipping item already damaged. I just don't like that the packaging they chose couldn't protect the contents from damage. I understand that during the shipping process, packages can be handled a little rough, and so should be packaged securely, and protected from harm. Even then there are no guarantees.
    I checked the feedback comments for the seller, and found only one negative (item lost due to poor packaging) and three neutral (spotting, hazy) not described that way. There were over 3800 positives though.
    I simply want what I paid for, not any harm to the seller at all.
    Oh, I did pay FMV, not a lowball price. IMO.

8. tmnt

tmnt New Member

You would never ship anything if you saw how mail is processed. I toured one of USPS's bulk mail centers a few years ago and it's surprizing that mail is ever delivered. Yet somehow the majority of the time it is with no issues. Its unfortunate that you had a bad experience.

If the coin (coin holder or slab) wasn't damaged then trying to get a claim for this from USPS is probably not going to be worth anyone's time. They will not pay the full insurance rate, only what they consider damage.

Bubble mailers actually do a pretty good job of protecting items. I use them all of the time. I see no fault on the seller's part for this.

There is nothing wrong with asking for assistance from ebay but, like others have mentioned, you should always try to resolve it with the seller first. When I sell items and something like this happens it sucks because you get screwed bad. Ebay takes 10% in fees and you either have to pay out to settle or take back a damaged item.

And the ebay discount on shipping is a joke since they give you a discount and then take 10% of shipping cost as fees anyway.

9. Johndoe2000$

When I purchase ogp, I expect it to arrive in pristine condition. When I purchase slabs, I expect them to arrive in pristine condition. Unless description states otherwise of course. I have made plenty of purchases directly from the mint. They were all shipped in boxes, and arrived in pristine condition. If the seller doesn't offer a suitable solution, I will start a return for damage with EBAY. That protection is the main reason I even bother with EBAY in the first place.

10. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I agree it should arrived as shipped. That said if the seller did a reasonable job of shipping (e.g. box and/or bubble mailer/bubble wrap ect) we shouldn't be so quick to crucify a seller for a postal issue. If someone just threw a coin into a letter that's one thing, but if something in a bubble mailer gets hit hard I disagree with aggressively coming at a seller for a postal issue.

I should have mentioned before but if the buyer really wanted to pursue the claim they could always tell the seller to file the claim and give all the details for the buyer in the claim who had specifically asked to be contacted to explain the issue ect.

11. harrync

harrync Well-Known Member

Several years ago I received a package of BEP intaglio currency reprints that was still soaking wet. The post office said I had the option of collecting the insurance myself [only $25 - exactly what I had paid for the items], or having it sent back to the sender for him to file a claim and then have the seller reimburse me. The catch was that if I filed the claim and collected the insurance money, the package would be destroyed. It was a long time ago, but I remember I got the impression that if the sender filed the claim, they could keep the items and be reimbursed for the reduction in value. There was one item I sort of regretted sending to the shredder, but it wasn't all that rare, so I took the $25; made things much simpler for me and the seller. And I got the money instantly, no waiting for a claim to be processed. [I was dealing with the assistant postmaster at a fairly large post office, so he knew the rules; I have dealt with a lot of clerks that did not know the rules; there are just too many regs for every employee to keep up with them all. It is also possible that the ass't PM had authority to do things a clerk could not do]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  12. Johndoe2000$

.......UPDATE......
    The seller did file a claim with the USPS, and all went well. I have received a $100 refund for damages, without further problems from either the seller, or the P.O. I highly doubt that I'll be able to find replacement (ogp only) as I have already looked. I do have the coin set at least, only the presentation, and resale value have been affected. I suppose I could try again, then re-sell the ones I have at a discount or something. I don't know.
    For the sellers out there, could placing a fragile sticker on the package work to prevent this type of issue??? Are you/we simply at the mercy of the delivery services to not crush the bubble pack envelopes which could contain cardboard boxes??? I don't know how often damage occurs, but this isn't the first time that I have received an item that has been damaged, at least slightly. In this instance, the "thin" cardboard ogp is important, to me at least. Any comments, or advice for future shipping damage prevention???
    Thanks.
    John.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  13. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Yeah, package things correctly. Put boxes in boxes, not padded envelopes.

14. Johndoe2000$

My thoughts exactly, though it seems that most sellers roll the dice and use the bubble wrap envelopes, I guess to save on costs. That works for many things, but not so good for "crush-able" outer packaging.

15. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Just to be clear, you received both a refund and kept the coins? Was this a partial or full, and was the seller made whole?

jwitten likes this.
  16. ALAN DAVIS

ALAN DAVIS Old Sopemaker

When shipping oGP items I wrap lightly in bubble wrap, place it in a bubble envelope then place it in a larger bubble envelope. It cost no more than 1 envelope because of the lighter weight and I get thanks from most all customers on my packaging. Just a thought.

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  17. Johndoe2000$

First off, the package/shipping, included $100 insurance. I received a letter from the USPS stating that they may need to see the packaging for evidence of the damage. Two days later, I received a notification from the seller that he received a check from the P.O., and a refund was issued.
    Today, I received a message from PayPal stating I have a refund for $100 from the seller.
    I still have the coins, and packaging, + a refund to replace the packaging. I don't know if the P.O. will contact me for proof of the damage, I thinK it unlikely at this point.
    I intend to leave "STELLAR" feedback for the seller for his efforts, and have already sent him an email stating this. I don't know if this is business as usual for this type of insurance or not.
    The FMV for the set is around $150. I paid $137 including shipping if memory serves. I would have to call this a partial refund, but doubt that I could find the replacement packaging alone. As I stated previously, I will no doubt need to purchase another set for my collection.
    This has been a bit of a hassle, but the seller handled the situation with courtesy, speed, and excellent communication.
    I should be happy with these results, but am actually back to square one.

18. Johndoe2000$

I have received cardboard boxes (outer/shipping) that had been mishandled before. It just didn't damage the contents luckily.
    Does anyone know if you can add a fragile sticker, and would that cost anything??? Would that even help??? I know that to the postal workers, it's just another package. To me it's "MY PRECIOUS". Just thought a fragile sticker might alert them to be more careful???

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  19. Johndoe2000$

I forgot to mention that I didn't contact EBAY about this at all, though all contact with seller was through EBAY.

Stevearino likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted