What to do about this coin.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Forkeh, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Forkeh

Forkeh New Member

My grandmother passed away almost a year ago, and left me her jewelry box. In it, is this coin, but the problem is, it's so...idk what the word is, corroded, dirty maybe? That I have absolutely no idea what the coin is. I don't even know what country it's from. In fact I can't be 100% positive that it's even a coin at all, that's how bad it is. Is there anything I can do with it, so I at least know what it is? I'm not concerned about altering it's monetary value if it's anything nice, because I would never ever sell something so sentimental, but I really want to know what it is. I know they say not to clean your coins. But help!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Could you possibly post a picture? That'll help a lot. And, how large is it, exactly?

4. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

Yes don't clean it and Yes do post a picture and we can help.

5. Forkeh

Forkeh New Member

Here's a pic with a penny for size comparison. The object is very thin too. I think it's a coin because I found it next to a Centavos.

[​IMG]

6. sirfordster

sirfordster Member

looks like smashed gum! :D

7. Forkeh

Forkeh New Member

I know lol, but it's not, that I'm fairly sure of.

8. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

Your coin's diameter appears to be about 1.25 times greater than the cent. That would put it in the range of either a 2-cent piece (23mm), a half-cent (23.5mm) or a quarter (24.3mm). The 2-cent weighs 6.22g, the half-cent weighs 6.74g, both pretty much the same as the silver quarter which weighs 6.25g. If you can get more precise diameter and weight measurements it would help in its identification.

9. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

If it's that size and thin, I'd guess a 20 cent piece. They tend to thin out more so than other coins for whatever reason. In that condition, I'd say clean it, as it's not going to do further damage obviously.

10. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

11. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

I don't believe it's any of those coins mentioned above unless it's been smashed and knocked out of round. It would take a LOT of rust/corrosion to give it that shape.

12. Taylor101

Taylor101 New Member

WOW..thats a bad coin

13. zach24

zach24 DNSO 7070 71 pct complete

I know nothing about this, but could it be an ancient coin??

14. Doug21

Doug21 Coin Hoarder

is there a grade below poor-1 ?

unidentifiable-0 ?

15. Forkeh

Forkeh New Member

Well it's not as if I expect it to be anything nice, it's just something I found in my grandmas old things, I honestly just want to know what it is. Like I said, I'm not even sure it's American.

16. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Can't really see mush in that picture. I was wondering about a spanish colonies 1 or 2 reales piece. Size is about right and an early one (cob type) would be irregular in shape and thin. There is also the possibility of many other early foriegn coins. Can you get a clearer picture and pictures of the back as well?

17. downlow

downlow Collection Collector

18. conpewter

conpewter Junior Member

Maybe just put it in olive oil and soak it for a week at a time? At this point you have to identify it to see if it has any value.

19. Bahjat

Bahjat Member

scan it both sides

and try to write what is written on it ?

20. CAL

CAL Member

Probably from the great depression. A lot of people were pinching pennies back then.:D

21. CoolRCoins

CoolRCoins New Member

Looks like a fossil of a coin. Or its seen to many slot machines

Draft saved Draft deleted