What to do about the rev?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Exodus_gear, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Exodus_gear

Exodus_gear Well-Known Member

Another coin I acquired from a uncleaned lot. I can see some silver coming through in some areas but I am unsure what kind of build up is on the rev side. So I am not 100 percent on how or if I should proceed on trying to clear that up. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    20200209_211152.jpg 20200209_211138.jpg 20200218_173141.jpg 20200218_173154.jpg 20200218_173228.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

That is a nice looking Probus. The obverse is pretty good. I'm not sure about the reverse though. I don't think I would mess with it if it were me. Who knows what is under there and you could end up making the whole coin look a lot worse by trying to clean that up.

4. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

I agree with furryfrog02 - I like it the way it is. If it were mine, I'd leave it alone.

Ryro, Exodus_gear and ominus1 like this.
  5. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

It's some sort of corrosion. The bronze has reacted with whatever chemicals were in the area it was buried in. The point is, the raised stuff is not something stuck to the surface of the coin, it's part of the coin. Removing it would just leave pits in the surface.

Marsyas Mike likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted