What to collect next?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by RaceBannon, Apr 5, 2011.

1. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

I'm looking to start collecting a new US Coin series. What should I focus on next? I've narrowed it down to two.

Barber coinage; either dimes, quarters, or halves.

or

US large cents.

I'd be interested in any and all opinions.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chridular

chridular Member

I'd go for the large cents. Why? Well, I think as for inclusion in a collection, the large cent is a better conversation starter than a dime, nickel, or half.

4. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

I agree with chridular RaceBannon, Large Cents. Personally I love the old coppers and don't care particularly for the Barbers, but you may feel differently. It would definately be a challenge, especially acquiring higher grade coins. Have you thought about Half Cents? All dates are scarce, but still much affordable even the low grade unc's. They're basically small-sized Large Cents. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Bruce

5. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Both are great choices. Both, though, have some huge stoppers, especially cents unless you concentrate on later issues. I do love high grade Barbers, and the halves do not have the great scarcities like the quarters, so I think a EF/AU barber half collection would be extremely impressive.

Either choice is a good one. I think real, collectible coins are soft right now since everyone is chasing bullion, so I think it is very smart of you to pursue some traditional material right now.

6. Lugia

Lugia ye olde UScoin enthusiast

start a collection of large cents. just work around a specific design like the classic, matron or petite head. dont expect to complete a set since theres way too many key dates and high rarity sheldons/newcombs. id also suggest starting a collection of half cents if you didnt want to spend alot of money on higher grade large cents.

7. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

Thanks for your responses one and all! Sounds like if it's to be large cents, I'd better just focus on one design to start off. Also appreciate the advice on half cents as a viable option.

One of the greatest things about this forum is all the knowledgeable collectors willing to share their opinions and preferences.

Thanks again.

8. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

To me, this is a tough decision. Because of the high price of silver and its upward trends right now, terrible condition barber coinage is going to reflect this. But then again, maybe it's better now than later if silver goes even higher. Unless of course, you are going to be purchasing higher grade stuff. Anyway, on that note, I like the idea of Large cents. :)

9. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

I faced this same decision myself recently and I went with large cents. I just wouldn't bother buying silver now if you're trying to collect and not just make money on silver. I set out to get one coin of each year from 1816 to 1856 without spending more than about $15 on any of them, and it only took me a few months to get them all except for 1823, which is rarer. I didn't go after the varieties but that's up to you.

10. Large cents, I don't want anymore competition! :)

11. Cringely

Cringely Active Member

Eac

If you decide on large cents, be sure to check out Early American Coppers http://www.eacs.org/. The magazine, Penny-Wise, alone is worth the dues.

I'd also contact Jack Robinson jhrhtr@aol.com for the latest (20th) edition of Copper Quotes by Robinson, the most comprehensive price list for half cents and large cents that exists. It gives prices by Cohen (half cent) & Sheldon/Noyes (large cent) numbers and will save you from making costly mistakes when trying to decide if the coin you are looking at is worth it.

12. zach24

zach24 DNSO 7070 71 pct complete

If I were you I'd go for LCs the designs are much more captivating, and there is much to learn with Large Cents.

13. ratio411

ratio411 Active Member

I like the idea of the cents because you get your money's worth, whereas anything silver right now is more expensive just because it is silver.

14. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

I'm a copper guy, so I say large cents. Really, if you're patient, there are no big stoppers. I've bought coins that book over 2K for less than $200. The reason is as mentioned already...copper is being overshadowed by silver and gold so demand has dwindled and forced shops to liquidate everything that isn't generic bullion, because thats whats selling. That may not always be the case everywhere, but so far for the past three years it has been where I've been. If you see this where you are, I suggest go for the early stuff first, as late dates will always be available later on.
    Guy

15. Skyman

Skyman Well-Known Member

I DO NOT mean this to sound obnoxious, but WHY are you asking OTHER people about what YOU should be collecting??? I always thought collecting was a personal choice about something that interested YOU. If you are not sure about which series to collect, why not try buying both for a bit and find out which one ends up "grabbing" you more? If you go this route I'd start with some of the more common date/mm's so you don't end up with too much money sunk in the other series. In any case, whichever way you decide to "fly", have FUN!!!

16. Cringely

Cringely Active Member

Taking the opposite viewpoint, I'd collect a couple and see if you like them. If you do, then find out what the key coins are (no matter what the series) and go for them. Problem free key coins will always be in demand and you will never lose out.
    Key coins will always rise faster in price than common ones.
    Buying the common date/mm's is easy, but when it comes time to upgrade them, you will be disappointed with what you will be offered.
    Yes, I know it is tempting to get a whole bunch of cheap ones first, but you will be far better off saving up for the key ones (even if it takes months or more) than jumping at the common stuff.
    This is a lesson that I've had to learn (and not a cheap one at that).

17. Vroomer2

Vroomer2 Active Member

Out of the choices you have provided, the fact I am not a fan of Charles Barber, and if I had to collect Barber coinage... Go with the Quarters.

My dad is working on the dimes and if I had to collect Barber coinage, I'd go for the halves.

Thus, you need to go for the quarters. Deal? Ready, BREAK! :D

Draft saved Draft deleted