What to buy...

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Crobattt, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Crobattt

Crobattt PEACE BRO xD

I have received 100$ from my grandmother for a late birthday present. I'm going to my coin place tomorrow, but i can't decide what to try to buy. My orignal plan is to spend 50 on coins and 50 on my fish tank. but i may deviate a little depending on the conditions. So the question is to you guys, what should i look for with 50-100 dollars.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DirtyD

DirtyD New Member

I'll say what everyone else will say. Buy what you like. Just because you have the money doesn't mean you have to use it. I'd say you should only buy a coin if its a coin you really really like. Don't buy a coin just because we tell you to.
    If I were in your shoes though, and absolutely have to buy a coin, I would get a nice walking liberty half dollar, just because it's my favorite design.

4. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Well dirtyd is correct, buy what you like and something you will like for a long,long time.

5. Crobattt

Crobattt PEACE BRO xD

im thinking mercs,walkers,morgans, or peace

6. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Well I believe you could get a nice graded MS morgan for one of the more common dates. Those big old silver puppies are nice.

7. gopher29

gopher29 Coin Hoarder

$100 for your birthday? Wow, I don't recall ever finding that much money in a birthday card when I was a kid. I guess the folks on CNBC aren't kidding when they talk about inflation having arrived.

8. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

I would get a 1970 S small date cent proof or whatever I could get for about $50. But I like cents, dimes, nickels and quarters. I know I will never complete my Morgan, Peace, Walker and Franklin sets, so concentrate on upgrading the completed ones.

9. iGradeMS70

iGradeMS70 AKA BustHalfBrian

I suggest you get a nice, mint state (MS63-MS64) Morgan Silver Dollar (possibly a New Orleans (O) mint). You can get a more common date one for around $50, but still get the satisfaction of owning a nice piece of U.S. history!

Good Luck,
    Brian

10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Since you said you were going to "my coin place", you must have been collecting for a while. What are you collecting right now? It would help narrow things down a bit.

Chris

11. Crobattt

Crobattt PEACE BRO xD

Picked up an alright morgan, naybody want to guess the date and mint :p?

12. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

1893-S (Shanghai Mint) in MS64.

13. Vroomer2

Vroomer2 Active Member

The Shanghai 1893-S is an elusive duck.

How about an 1881-S in MS-63.

14. coinman0456

coinman0456 Coin Collector

I think it depends upon what your coin collecting interests are.

15. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

I think you should get the fish tank and an American Silver Eagle. Happy Birthday !

16. Crobattt

Crobattt PEACE BRO xD

i bought an 83 CC and a CUC for my marine 75 gallon

17. Crobattt

Crobattt PEACE BRO xD

think this a good year :/

18. swingr1121

swingr1121 Working on the 7070

Pics?? Of the clean up crew, obviously... :p

19. Crobattt

Crobattt PEACE BRO xD

hey you know what CUC stood for :p

20. swingr1121

swingr1121 Working on the 7070

Of course! I've got a 25g SW tank in my living room... unfortunately it got hit pretty bad with disease a year or so ago and I lost most things in it save for a tiny head of a Frogspawn and some button polyps. Things just haven't been the same.

So where are the pictures of the coin??

21. Crobattt

Crobattt PEACE BRO xD

tomorrow, it's pretty rough :p

Draft saved Draft deleted