What Source for # Banknotes Issued? - For US & Other Countries

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by iPen, Aug 6, 2016.

1. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Is there a source where I can get info on the number of banknotes issued, for US and other countries' banknotes? I searched on PMG's online catalog, and they don't have that info. Googling turns up nothing on most of the notes.

I'd assume that it's a lot - far greater in number than most of the coins that get minted. So, perhaps the BEP and other countries' counterparts may not record that number. But then again, all of the banknotes have serial numbers, so the issued number can be extracted from that if that's the only thing available (e.g. if "Z" is the last series of only 7 digits, then there would be 26 alphabetic characters x 0000000-9999999 numbers or 10 million = 260 million notes).

I'm trying to get figures for some US notes, and hyperinflation notes from around the world.

Thanks in advance!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

4. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

5. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Thanks - any idea on how I can get one for 1918 US $5 for Chicago (G7)?

I searched the link and found ones that go back to 1928, but not earlier.

6. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Thanks, yes, it probably won't work for those.

Is there a source for 20th-21st century notes?

For example, 1946 Hungary and 2009 Zimbabwe hyperinflation notes?

I'd imagine that there were tons and tons, especially for, say, German hyperinflation notes of 1923, as notes were worth less than the paper they were printed on. So, maybe such data wasn't tracked.

7. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

8. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Thanks - do I interpret that as 30,000,000 Chicago $5 notes + the star notes as the official number issued?

9. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

Three million, not thirty million. And remember the star notes aren't additional; they replaced some of the regular notes.

10. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Ah , I added one extra "0".

And, yes, that figure would be the max amount in circulation. Thanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted