What slabs do

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Valentinian, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

I have problems dealing with slabbed coins. It is often very difficult to actually see them, as usually one side is upside down or at some odd angle. Often the lugs holding the coin in place obscure important information especially when trying to determine what, if any, previous auction history the coin might have. Any information the slab might actually provide is at best questionable and often discouraging. Even when I am at a show or attending an auction in person I find them difficult as they make it very difficult to examine the coin closely. I like to look at the edge of the coin as a defense against counterfeits. Slabs make that very tough. On more than one occasion I am fighting the slab to determine whether or not if the scratch I have noticed is on the coin or a surface problem with the slab. Needless to say if I buy a coin in a slab it is out as quickly as I can do so. PS I usually refer to them as "coffins".

TIF and Severus Alexander like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I usually find that slabs make a coin I want more expensive, but sometimes the slab helps in keeping the coin cheap. While I have never had a slabbed ancient, my experience with modern coins is quite similar. (Sorry to pollute this post with disgusting moderns :vomit::smuggrin:)

I bought this one as AU details. Because of the slab, it was quite cheap. I sent it back in and got AU-55. Sold it for twice as much. Same coin, different slab.

09EF4A7D-D21A-4A4A-A259-ED2BE3C5A9A4.jpeg

I bought this one raw for $45. I tried selling it raw for $150. I tried trading it to a dealer for a $200 coin. Not a single person wanted it. Then I got it slabbed and it graded MS-62. Then people wanted it for $300-350. Same coin, worthless out of the slab, $$$ in the slab.

3F5D141F-FA7D-4FC3-B360-B9FB7461C4A2.jpeg

This one was graded *only* MS-62. It is nicer than that. The slab let me get it for “cheap.”

EF2A7BE9-7C24-4330-A1B2-992461C2E0CA.jpeg 1193781A-EAF8-41F1-90D4-0CA83B218612.jpeg

Fugio1, Petavius, Cucumbor and 4 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted