What should I look for

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Kelli2723, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Kelli2723

Kelli2723 New Member

Hello, I’m just looking for some advice on what I should look for beside silver and errors in my coin collection that I inherited from my grandmother. I am still sorting/organizing and have been doing research on certain pieces along the way. I am looking to sell a little bit but wanted to see what collectors really like and look for. I have a lot of US, Canadian and Great Britain coins from 1950s and after, a few that are a little earlier, some US and Canadian paper money and a few foreign coins and tokens. Also, where is the best place to sell?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    Seattlite86 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I would like to see photos of your Canadian and foreign coins both sides in focus. I can help you with values and info on each coin. You could sell them at a coin shop, a coin show, Ebay, and even here on this website.

Kelli2723 and Seattlite86 like this.
  4. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

The best place to sell depends on what you have. The amount you will get will be determined by your knowledge and the demand (or lack thereof) for coins, as well as how quickly you need money. Most collections make more money when sold separately, but that becomes time consuming. If you're willing, share as many photos here as you can and we can help you from there. :)

Randy Abercrombie and Kelli2723 like this.
  5. Kelli2723

Kelli2723 New Member

Ok great! I’m not home at the moment, but I will start taking pictures when I get home. I have a lot though, is there any certain dates you would like to see?

6. Kelli2723

Kelli2723 New Member

Here are just a some of the foreign coins that I had time to take pictures of today. I know there not all in the best condition. I have done a little research on each one, but not in great detail. I did the best I could taking pictures, I only have my phone at the moment to take them with. I am trying to get an actual camera soon.

Attached Files:

Seattlite86 likes this.
  7. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

For those coins, the pics are fine. The ones you’ve shown are commonly found in people’s junk boxes and were probably pocket change mementos from a vacation rather than coins that were actively collected. There’s really no value there so just enjoy them.

spirityoda and Seattlite86 like this.
  8. Seattlite86

Agreed, these are pocket change coins, likely picked up from being in those countries at the time. I see Belgium, Libya and Germany. It seems you might have more of a sentimental vs valuable collection, but show us some more if you like!

9. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Sorry I agree those foreign coins are very common. low value. i would like to see your Canadian coins

Seattlite86 likes this.
  10. Kelli2723

Kelli2723 New Member

Yes, I haven’t really found any of the foreign coins to be worth much, but getting a second opinion on them helps, so thank you. Here are the rest of my foreign coins, and a few Canadian. I have tons of Canadian, so my husband and I are trying to finish sorting them by dates so that I can post the pictures this evening. Thank you for taking a look

Attached Files:

11. Kelli2723

Kelli2723 New Member

It doesn’t let me post more than 10 in one post, so I’m sorry for all the separate ones.

Attached Files:

12. Kelli2723

Kelli2723 New Member

More

Attached Files:

13. Kelli2723

Kelli2723 New Member

I will post more this evening as we sort them by year. Is there anything specific you would like to see first? Or any certain dates?

Attached Files:

14. Seattlite86

I'm seeing a lot of very common coins pulled from circulation. Do you have any specific ones you haven't shown that you think might have particular value?

spirityoda likes this.
  15. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

These are very common coins with low value sorry. Do you have any silver or gold world coins ?

Seattlite86 likes this.
  16. Kelli2723

Kelli2723 New Member

I don’t... I just have some normal Canadian coins that are silver, but nothing worth more than it’s melt value I don’t think. Canadian wise I have lots of every day coins (bags full) but I don’t know much about the errors or rare ones to look for. I have some Canadian bills also.

17. Seattlite86

Do you live near Canada that you have so many? Might be worth a trip north.

18. Kelli2723

Kelli2723 New Member

We live 7 hours away, but my grandmother lived about 5hr. Would you be interested in any US coins or paper bills?

19. Kelli2723

Kelli2723 New Member

I know there are a few different versions of these, so any help is appreciated. I see differences in all 3 when I look with the magnifying glass lol

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted