what should i do

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by jonathan layne, Dec 13, 2018.

1. jonathan layne

jonathan layne Well-Known Member

i want to do coin roll hunting but i dont know where to go for them.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I don't do that but reading some of these threads folks create relationships with a bank and just trade dollars for rolls of whatever coin is of interest to them. I bet @Shrews1994 could shed some light.

4. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

For what, rolls?

A bank seems the obvious start.

5. jonathan layne

what coins should i go after first

6. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

What do you want to find?

If you want to "strike it rich", you're probably in for some boredom and frustration. Roll searching "pays" way less than minimum wage.

If you want to learn about variation in coins, I'd start with the cheapest option, cents. Maybe nickels. Years ago I would've said half-dollars, but they're quite picked over at this point, and they're hard to spend when you're done.

Take a look at some of the active threads in this subforum and see if anything catches your eye.

Happy hunting!

7. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

The last time (and every time) I was physically in the bank, I asked if they had some customer wrapped rolls of halves and they had one...found a 1964!

8. Shrews1994

Shrews1994 Collecting is my passion.

Go to your local bank. Ask for customer rolled coins. But it depends on what you like to collect.

9. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Gold Stellas.

10. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

I can tell you from years of doing this, it is a fairly cheap hobby, because you either put back the money you are searching from to get more or you search it prior to having to put it back to pay bills. So anything you find is gravy. Yet also you do come across stupid things like rolls with one or more coins that are of no use for you. One quarter roll I got from a bank ended up having three dollars of it in Canadian quarters. So someone creatively got rid of those and I really don't usually go to Canada to use them. I think I did once, so I took my excess Canadian change to use there, but the cents did not work, so those all went into a charity thing at the Airport, hoping they were able to round them up and cash them in somehow.

If you are looking to make money, the time and money you spend on going to get the rolls and return them, just in gas, may be more than you profit from them. But it is a nice hobby and luck does happen. The best one I got from my roll hunting, value wise so far, seems to have been a modern states quarter with a dropped letter error. It was a MS66 and I sold it for nearly 200.00. And even with this and some other minor (less profitable coins I've found), I probably have spent all of this in gas over the years and in losing out on the few coins in rolls that are European, Canadian, etc. So really, no profit other than the interest and pleasure I've gotten from this. Add in the cost of books for me to learn what to search for, I've spent way more than it's given me back.

If you are wanting to make some money through this, I suggest you get a minimum wage job. You will likely make much more money then.

spirityoda and -jeffB like this.
  11. jonathan layne

thank you

12. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Do just like you have to in school, study first. There's plenty of great, free, online resources for varieties and errors. John Wexler's www.doubleddie.com ( for cents and all other denominations except for nickels) & Brian Ribar's www.briansvarietycoins ( for nickels ) This will help sort the hay from the chaff. A copy of Cherrypicker's Guide Vol. 1 will also give you an idea of the better and more valuable coins. Then go to the bank and pick up rolls as you can afford them. This way, before you post something that is not an error, you can reference what's not. And of course, you should have a copy of the Redbook Guide of U.S. Coins.

13. jonathan layne

i just got the 2019 edition from the library

Kentucky and tommyc03 like this.
  14. jonathan layne

i was there with my school and figured why not

15. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Props to them for having the 2019.

-jeffB and jonathan layne like this.
  16. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

For having a real library!

Kentucky likes this.
  17. Histman

Histman Too Many Coins, Not Enough Time!

If you have an account with the bank you can ask them to order you a box of whatever denomination you want to look through. However, customer rolled coins is a different story. I pick up between $200 and $2,000 in customer rolled coins every Friday from my bank. I have a good relationship with the tellers, cash logistics manager, and branch manager, so it works out well because they don't have to pay to have the coins picked up. They just set them aside for me. I noticed that you are young, not that makes a ton of difference to the hobby, but unless you are a coin hound like me needing to see everything, you might want to start out with cents. It will be a lot cheaper and there are so many varieties and errors, it will keep you busy for a long time. Shrews can confirm that for you. Then, if still interested, you can then branch out from there.

18. jonathan layne

thank you

19. jonathan layne

i got a roll of nickles from the bank today, i found one from 1964 and one from 1941

20. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

But the important question: was it fun? If it was, do it again! :)

There were a huge number of 1964 nickels minted, much more than any previous year. When I started hunting in the early 1970s, it seemed like a third to a half the nickels I found were dated 1964. They've minted a whole lot of nickels since then, though, so you don't see them nearly as often.

1941 is a good find regardless. It's probably not worth any premium, but again... fun! Be sure to check to the right of Monticello (the building on the reverse) to see if there's a D or S mint mark.

21. jonathan layne

it was fun. also the mark is an S

-jeffB likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted