What say you? 58D Lincoln

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Pickin and Grinin, Mar 6, 2020.

?

What are these?

1. Die Chips

2. Wheel marks

3. Damage

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

What would you call these three oddities on this Lincoln?
    Are they Die chips? Or are they wheel marks from an out of control employee trying to get rid of a clash? One is between IN GOD another below the D and one behind the head.
    There is a light T clash present. IMG_0003 (2).JPG
    Here is a couple of close ups.
    IMG_0002 (2).JPG IMG_0001 (2).JPG
    And the reverse. IMG_0005 (2).JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pickin and Grinin

@Chris B Why do you say damage? I wish I could have gotten clearer photos of each mark.
    The coin has a die pairing from the same roll. IMG_0001 (2).JPG
    I think that they are from a die polishing wheel. I guess they were hard to see in the photos. I wouldn't have thought much of the coin if it didn't have a brother.

4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I know of Wheel Marks as something else. Not an issue caused during the minting process
    https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/4412/Wheel-Marks/

Wheel marks are a concentrated area of hairlines that are caused by the rubberwheels in coin counting machines. When there is insufficient spacing between them, the wheels can essentially polish a small portion of the surface of the coin.

5. Pickin and Grinin

Yeah I thought about that. But it was too late to change the title. I was thinking a of a polishing wheel like a sanding disc. When I was putting the thread up.
    Each one of these marks are raised but do not look like die chips.

paddyman98 likes this.
  6. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

IMO, looks like polish marks. I can't see anything in your pics, but you may want to check closely to see if there are any remnants of a clash of damage the mint worker was trying to remove.

7. Pickin and Grinin

Yeah there is a T clash at the throat, and obvious ghosting on the reverse. It's definitely the reason for the heavy polishing marks on the surfaces. These three marks all look like the lines behind the head. Above the Y in liberty. The gouge between the N and G is the deepest.

Draft saved Draft deleted