What`s up with this ike dollar ?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Falconetti, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Falconetti

Falconetti Member

$(KGrHqNHJFYFDRL-qnVgBQ9FHdh!mw~~60_14.jpg $T2eC16NHJHgE9n0yEi-PBQ9FHSfmh!~~60_57.jpg

I saw this on ebay recently and I was wondering is this toning, camera tricks or what ??

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

It was painted with an AT chemical.

4. Falconetti

Falconetti Member

I guess that`s why it was only $14 with free shipping and no bought it .

I almost bought it but was leery because no one bid on it .

thanks !

5. John Anthony

It's a proof, and although proofs can turn shades of blue, it's more of a hazy blue. The obvious giveaway on that coin is that the color is ONLY on the fields, and not on the devices. Somebody painted it very carefully.

And yes, the color saturation has probably been tweaked in photoshop or some such other editor.

6. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Where was the listing? I'll buy it!

The coin appears to be in its original government packaging and my experience with these is the the 1971-S Silver Proof IKE's do in fact tone such as what is displayed by the OP.

IKE 1971-S (DS) Toned  13205488 PCGS PR66CAM CoinD.jpg

7. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

It may very well be that no one did anything to this Ike. The toning you see is fairly common and is classic Brown Box Ike toning. Depending upon how the lighting was used when the image captured, one will see practically no hazy blue through a nearly blue coin. Some years have more haze and color than others. The packaging that these were sold in contributed mightily to the haze and color.

8. 19Lyds

I totally disagree with your limited analysis John Anthony. (Well, except for the color saturation part that is as the photo has been tweaked.)

Somebody point me to that LISTING!

Never mind. I Found it. Hopefully the seller will relist it as I've asked.

9. Falconetti

Falconetti Member

10. 19Lyds

11. Tom B

It does not appear to be in the black case anymore. I think that is black velvet background that the seller uses.

12. Falconetti

Falconetti Member

Kinda wish I would have bought it now if it was real toning .

If it`s fairly common I` ll get one next time .

13. John Anthony

Lol, I'll just shaddup about stuff I don't know then. Thought I got that one right. :eek:

14. Tom B

Don't worry about it. We all learn things and a great way to learn and retain something is to be wrong from time to time. It's all good.

15. Prime Mover

Prime Mover Active Member

OMG that coin is Awesome! And yes, that's natural.

Lee, you better bid fast before I get there... :)

16. Prime Mover

It's fairly common for the blue toning on the proof Ike's (see my avatar) when they're in OGP like that. This particular coin is fantastic in it's toning, I wish I had seen the original listing I would have bought in a heartbeat.

17. Prime Mover

BTW, I'll show you one I just bid on once it closes. It's also got nice colors, I hope it looks as good or better in hand than the pictures.

Draft saved Draft deleted