What pricing reference for PCGS slabbed coins best reflects market prices?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Browns Fan, May 6, 2016.

1. Browns Fan

Browns Fan Active Member

I'm a bit perplexed by coin prices. So many options; so much disparity. Are CAC tagged coins really worth such a premium? Thanks.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

I go by auction records. I.e heritage, goldberg, or ebay. I don't pay a premium for slabbed or CACed coins, I buy the coin.

4. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

What beef1020 said.. I go by completed sales on eBay, Heritage, Great Collections...

Santinidollar likes this.
  5. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Market prices best reflect market prices. It is too easy, these days, to find actual sales records of real coins to worry about published price lists any longer. Depending on your specific interests, the PCGS Auction Prices website is probably your most valuable resource:

http://www.pcgs.com/auctionprices/

Ebay is another, if you look at it as a "larger picture" and don't focus on individual auctions which may or may not have been affected by bidiots. And the record proves that CAC coins bring a premium, regardless of what we personally think of that.

BTW I've been a Browns fan since Blanton Collier was the coach. :)

6. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Dave nailed it. The other thing to consider is don't be too tied to the prices. Low end coins will generally sell for less while the premium coins will sell for a premium the trick is knowing when it is actually a premium coin worth paying up for. Also while common coins will generally stick to already established price ranges true rarities you can go ahead and throw price guides out the window.

7. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

I'll pay more for a nice eye appealing coin with CAC or not. I use CDN as a guideline, but I'd realize some coins does not fetch anywhere close to CDN bid like some of the better date gold pieces and classic Commems. On the other hand you can't touch a nice classic copper coin close to CDN bid.

8. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

I never new that. I've rooted for the Browns as long as I can remember.
    000_7062.jpg

9. Browns Fan

Browns Fan Active Member

Thanks for the comments on pricing. I started watching the Browns when Otto Graham was QB. He later went to coach football at the Coast Guard Academy which was just starting their program, I believe. He sent me two letters asking me to take the entrance exam and play there. I, along with one of our backs, failed the exam.

Markus1959 likes this.
  10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Go by supply and demand which drive the current market price. :)

11. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Heck dang, thanks Dave. I never knew of this service provided by PCGS and it beats the devil out of searching coins one at a time on Heritage.

12. OxJaw

OxJaw Senior Member

Same here, although I don't ever remember the Browns being any good.

Markus1959 likes this.
  13. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Well not lately - Haslem is such an idiot owner wanting garbage to play like the Patriots system players do!!

14. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

It has the entire Heritage archive just as a subset, and even includes Ebay sales. I think they've had it up less than a year now.

When I first started rooting for the Browns - went to high school in Cleveland - you expected them to be in the playoffs every year. I'm a little optimistic again, for the first time in Heaven knows how long.

Draft saved Draft deleted