What Percentage Markup For CAC?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by keemao, May 30, 2015.

1. keemao

keemao Well-Known Member

For buying or selling CAC stickered graded Morgan or Peace dollars, what percentage markup would you expect to pay if buying and to add if selling any particular coin? I know there are those that are not fans of CAC, etc. I am just looking for a percentage over maybe Grey Sheet figures or say Coin World prices. Some range to work with when looking at what a coin is maybe worth without the sticker and what it would be worth with the sticker.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

CAC stickers don't mean anything to me, one way or the other. However, I don't think there can be any set percentage one can put on the mark-up. It all depends on how much someone is willing to pay, and how little someone is willing to settle for.

Chris

4. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Hard to say. Overall, there is a small premium, but from coin to coin, you really have to compare with non-CAC coins to decide if there should be one. Also, many coins will never be sent to CAC because the value just isn't there to justify the fees, and because it slows down the turnover of these coins.

Don't buy or pay a premium for an ugly coin just because it has a sticker or is in "desirable" plastic.

swamp yankee, Paddy54 and Seattlite86 like this.
  5. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

CAC is meaningless to me as well. All it tells me is someone spent even more money getting the coin graded and expect more money from me. If anything, I'm less likely to buy a CAC holder, but that's because I'm frugal. :p

swamp yankee, Paddy54 and eddiespin like this.
  6. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

I'm not a fan of CAC, but it is hard to find CAC coins for under greysheet bid.

7. Bedford

Bedford Lackey For Coin Junkies

Well as a person who actually sells coins for a living I would say
    a CAC green bean can add 2-5%* on average & a gold bean 5-25%* depending on series,eye appeal ,ect.

*over Grey Sheet

chip likes this.
  8. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

It depends on the coin. Are we talking about a key or semi key in gem condition or a common date coin in gem BU (or less valuable)?

9. Blackhawk1-1CAV

Blackhawk1-1CAV Active Member

I turn in Coins with CAC stickers to be re-holdered:D

swamp yankee, Treashunt and Paddy54 like this.
  10. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Well if it's sticker ed I won't dicker.... because the bean comes off or I walk. So Nada percentage here! I buy the coin not someone else's opinion. That at the point of sale means squat to me.

swamp yankee, Evan8 and afantiques like this.
  11. Coinchemistry 2012

For something you can peel off? I certainly hope you are joking. But if you like paying to make your coins less liquid and less valuable, have fun.

12. Coinchemistry 2012

That is because CAC buys them, usually at prices above bid. It is a market maker, hence the reason that CAC coins often carry premiums.

swamp yankee likes this.
  13. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

I like paddy's answer. I pay based off the coin - not the grade on the holder or the sticker stuck to it. It might happen the coin I bought happens to have a sticker, but I did not pay based off the sticker.

swamp yankee and Paddy54 like this.
  14. Coinchemistry 2012

I can't agree with this. There are so many counterexamples, especially series such as St. Gaudens Double Eagles where at one point (and it might still be the case) that a CAC MS65 was selling for normal MS66 money. Gold stickers often sell for the next grade up or higher. On one example, I recall fondly, a MS64 rattler Morgan sold for more than MS67+ money and was about half the bid of a CAC green MS68 Morgan. I kid you not.

15. Coinchemistry 2012

But why doesn't it make sense that a coin that is high end or solid for the grade would sell for more than a low end coin? Don't get me wrong, I use my own standards but generally CAC gets it right.

Big-Greek likes this.
  16. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

This is just my opinion - just because a coin has a CAC sticker does not always make it solid(or high end) for the grade. At least that is my opinion - I know what I like. I am not knocking CAC - almost everyone of my two centers has a CAC sticker, but each one I saw and bought based off the coin itself. And I won't say CAC or the TPG is wrong, but in some cases it is just not what I expect for the grade and the coin itself. Sometimes I see CAC coins on heritage that I would not pay the going price for - granted it could just be the pictures, but why take the chance. Basically I look at a coin(and it is easier to do in hand) - form an opinion on the coin, figure about what I would pay - look at the price and the sticker. See if they are in range.

swamp yankee and JPeace$ like this.
  17. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Why is CAC even a factor? They are like a fifth wheel on a wagon. What REAL PURPOSE do they serve?
    I buy a eye appealing coin or a variety , I could give a rats hoo ha about anyone else opinions. Is the 3rd party paying for the coin ?no is the 3rd party making money on the coin yes. That said I don't need a third party advice.
    And I'm not paying extra for a sticker! Like messy said buy the coin not the holder or sticker....buy the book first. And read it.

swamp yankee likes this.
  18. Coinchemistry 2012

If I pay more, it is for the quality of the COIN not the plastic. With that said, the sticker and quality have a positive but not perfect correlation. As such, you cannot extricate what is due to the quality of the piece and what is due to the sticker in terms of premium paid. To be sure you can buy nice coins without stickers. I do it all the time.

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  19. Coinchemistry 2012

Market maker

swamp yankee likes this.
  20. Bedford

Bedford Lackey For Coin Junkies

I understand this position.There are really way too many factors to get a real number.
    My response was to the OP's question on the Morgan & Peace series that I was relating those averages to on common date, common eye appeal coins. I should have been more clear.

21. Blackhawk1-1CAV

Blackhawk1-1CAV Active Member

I only buy the coin. I want my pedigree, variety attribution and images; so I send them in. I only care if its the right coin for the right set. And like you said. Why should I care about something that can be peeled off? Thats not value.

Draft saved Draft deleted