What one to buy!?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Speedy, Aug 13, 2009.

?

What one should I buy

Poll closed Sep 12, 2009.
  1. 1916-D Dime

35.1%
  2. 1955/1955 Cent

37.8%
  3. 1922 NO D Cent

13.5%
  4. None of above

5.4%
  5. Save your money

2.7%
  6. Complete the PF66 Franklin set

5.4%
  1. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

Well it has been months since I have really bought a coin - in fact, it may have been a year or longer. (I have bought coins, but just odds and ends...I mean really BUY a coin!)

There are a few that I have my eye on - including some that would help and or upgrade my PF66 Franklin set, but then there are 3 others that I would like to get.
    As most of you know, I have a complete Wheat Cent collection, but I didn't get either the 22noD nor the 55/55. Those are 2 of the picks, and the last is an upgrade for my 1916-D dime!
    Mine grades out at AG, and the new one would be VG10 (CAC).

So vote, and also remember to tell me WHY you picked what you did.
    I may get none of these coins as some of them are up for auction - the 22 No D is at my dealers and he is asking $700.

Alrighty - here are the details:

1916-D - PCGS VG10 CAC - DIME
    1955/1955 - PCGS AU53 - CENT
    1922-NO D (STRONG REV) - PCGS VG8 - CENT - $700.00

I've been saving so I could get a good coin, but who knows, maybe I should keep on saving and just buy a house!

Speedy

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Upvalley

Upvalley Senior Member

I voted for the 16-D Merc, because I've been looking for one for my Merc collection, but haven't had the guts to pull the trigger. So the choice is out of envy!

4. danisanub

danisanub Finance Major

Haha same here, that's my favorite one so I voted for it

5. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

55/55 because it is the highest grade.

6. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

C'mon pal - isn't it about time you expanded your horizons and moved into the Darkside?

7. CrustyCoins

CrustyCoins Twilight Photographer

For no particular reason I chose the 1916-D, I think it has more potential over time as a rarity. My next pick would have been the 22 no D and then the 55/55.

8. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Ah, go for a nice Barber Quarter!

How about a nice VG 1896 S or a 1913 S?

Huh?
    HUH?

HUH!?!?

9. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

And because it was the year I was born...it will bring you luck Spencer!! Get the 55/55..

RickieB

10. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

And forget the Franklin set, think: Barbers, Barbers, Barbers!

11. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Spencer, I would go with the 55/55....they seem to hold value. about 18 months ago I purchased an 1937 3 legger...I have always wanted one.I paid about 1300+/_ now I'm seeing them in the $800/ $900 neighborhood. You have a 16-D they also hold their value but how many $$$ you want to spend to get one that will truely ake you happy? You know I always say advise is always easy to give...it cost nothing...LOL But you know me I would split the difference between the penny and the dime and buy a NICKLE! :rolling:

12. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

:D nah. Just so you don't think I'm totally wrong - I have a binder that is full of worlds coins that I get differnet ways - I rarely buy a world coin but have done that a few times. Most of them are either gifts, or were found in change. At last count there was over 300 in the book!

Well, like I said, I have one in AG, but I would most likely be selling that one if I bought this better one.

They just don't ring my bell - and you for one should be happy because I would be trying to beat you out of the good ones :D :D

LOL!! That is great!

Well I'm trying not to look at this coin as an "investment", but when I re-read this thread it seemed to be what I got out of it. I like each of the coins I listed, and they all have nice eye appeal.

Speedy

13. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Think about it this way.
    Whichever one you buy, it will be for the rest of your collecting life.
    You should not buy with the thought that you'll upgrade later.
    Which one will fit your collecting goals best?

14. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

I voted for the Merc. Because its a coin that I need, but I may never get it. Its just so much money! lol

15. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

The 55/55....my dream coin! I have a complete Lincoln set minus this coin....but I consider it an error. Nonetheless, it's an important coin to any Lincoln set.

16. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

I voted the 22d,but i could go for the 55 too. It would be one step closer to finishing another set,which would give me more satisfaction. Then upgrade the merc set later.

17. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

I agree with that one, as long as it looks like a very nice coin. Sometimes coins with an AU53 grade will have some spotting or other issues which keep it from being a 55 or 58.

A VG merc dime or a VG 22 no D just doesn't do it for me as you see low grade examples of those coins all of the time. well less so with the 16d in that grade since most that you see are G4 and below. but in any case, the 55/55 is just a much cooler coin in my opinion.

18. Harryj

Harryj Supporter**

Actually voted for the no d, but the 55/55 is sweet. Here's mine.

Attached Files:

19. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Oh I changed my mind...when voting in your poll Speedy...I opt. for the Franklin set....not the 55/55. well you know for me it's a nickel or a half dollar....try not to worrie too much over this choice...I hate to see ya on Jerry Springer or Dr. Phil :rolling:

20. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I voted the 55/55. Why? I'm just a modern guy....:)

21. raider34

raider34 Active Member

I voted for the 55/55, because it's in a nice grade, and it's just so darn cool to look at lol.

Draft saved Draft deleted