What one coin have you been looking for and how long?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ldhair, Jan 11, 2010.

1. TCB_24-7

TCB_24-7 Junior Member

Had nothing to do with money, hey? Then why did he say, "Half the stuff in this thread could regularly be had for the right amount of money." Sure sounds like it had everything to do with money to me. That's my whole point. It's not about "money", the original thread/post didn't say anything about it. As for the names, well, he gave me a reason to refer to him as a edited - no, he didn't. Did you not the see the big grin smiley :D - his comment was a joke. But even if it wasn't - the correct proceedure is for you to report the post and let US deal with it. You retaliating - that only get's YOU in trouble.

We have rules here, you can either abide by them, or suffer the consequences.
    However, I haven't seen a reason for him to call us all "WEAK". Now, as for the 1799, I would like anything related to that. Since it's not about "money", the cheaper, the better. Not looking to spend a fortune! hehe

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Rebel54

Rebel54 Junior Member

Would like to have the 1856 Flying Eagle Cent Pattern I had to sell
    about 20 years ago, 1909-S Indian and finally the 1922 Plain to complete
    my Lincoln. Yes I know, money will target the last two, but the first one
    would be an ongoing search!

4. DadaVanya

DadaVanya Junior Member

The 1955 cent DDO which I got in change in 1955 when I was a young sailor in Newport, RI,
    and which I sold in 1964 or 1965 for $25.
    If I bend over, will somebody please kick me hard?

5. DoK U Mint

DoK U Mint In Odd we Trust

No need for that. I'm sure you've already experienced the fullness of the retro~spectness of it all.

Just don't fall for the current "Position A or B" on the new small dollars rim errors tripe .:)

6. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I really think this is just a miscommunication. The reference to money was only to describe the reason why the person has not already acquired the coin. For example, consider those who listed a 1909-S VDB Lincoln Cent as the coin they have been searching for. This coin is readily available in all grades. As long as you have the money, you should be able to acquire one of these rather easily.

Now consider my entry on the other hand. When was the last time you saw a rainbow toned 1943/2-P Jefferson Nickel MS66+ Full Steps in the marketplace? The reason I don't have this coin is lack of availability not lack of funds. When one hits the market, it will be mine and I promise money will not be a factor.

7. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Hey condor101. Since you are on line, when did ANACS start grading coin (as opposed to just certifying them genuine)?

8. TCB_24-7

TCB_24-7 Junior Member

Ok, I see your point. Speaking of that nickel, just how much does one of those sell for? (Ruff estimate)

9. Lehigh96

Heritage has sold 6 examples between February 2006 & July 2008 with a price range of $2,300-$2,760. However, none of those coins were rainbow toned. Add that into the equation and the coin could reach five figures.

10. TCB_24-7

TCB_24-7 Junior Member

Wow! Now that would be a rare one. Do you know how many "rainbow" colored ones are out there? BTW, what makes a coin turn rainbow? Is it ummm....oh nevermind, I might offend someone if I continue....hehe

11. The_Cave_Troll

The_Cave_Troll The Coin Troll

looking for a nice holed Lafayette dollar. AU/MS details, no problems but the hole. Been looking for that one for nearly 5 years now with no luck.

12. Lehigh96

Don't worry about offending me, I have thick skin and my entire collection balances on the thin line that separates NT from AT. As for how many rainbow toned 43/2-P are out there, I have only ever seen a handful.

13. TCB_24-7

TCB_24-7 Junior Member

That is a rare one, that's for sure. As for offending, it looks like I did offend someone, offend them enough to go crying to the moderator....

14. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

Hey, I'm not the one who swings the banhammer.

NOW, to keep this on track. Here's another coin I've been looking for since I first read about it. (I can't seem to find my scan at the moment, I'll post it later) Its an imitation of a coin of Probus, with the figures of Fides and Sol on the reverse transformed into a man holding a fish. I only know of one example, cited in Boon's 1988 article Counterfeit Coinage in Roman Britain.

15. The_Cave_Troll

The_Cave_Troll The Coin Troll

Enough! You broke the rules and were penalized for it. I was certainly happy to have left it a private matter, however you don't seem to want to.

Don't call people names and they won't report you, it really is that simple.

Now, back to the thread, I find it interesting and would be disappointed if you caused it to have to be closed.

Sincerely,
    TCT

16. TCB_24-7

TCB_24-7 Junior Member

Well......

If the shoe fits, wear it.....

17. TCB_24-7

TCB_24-7 Junior Member

The term "dingbat" means nothing more than a silly person. How is that name calling? (Especially since he put a big smile by his post after calling all of us weak). That was silly, wasn't it? It was a perfectly suitable situation to use such a word in that manner. I can just imagine if I used a real insult or offensive name. Wow! I would probably be tarred & feathered, strung up, and hung!

18. Lehigh96

My guess is that you now understand why I tried to warn you nicely; the moderators don't tolerate name calling of any degree on this site. It is a shame because I knew we would work it out in a few more posts. Anyway, don't let this bother you, CT is a great forum with some great members, including Ardatirion.

I will do the best I can to search for some 18th century material for you. Do you prefer copper or silver?

19. TCB_24-7

TCB_24-7 Junior Member

Of course I would prefer silver over copper, but I guess what's available and the pricing would affect the decision a lot too.

20. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Apparently what you fail to understand is that the big grin smiley indicates his comment was a joke. But even if it wasn't - the correct proceedure is for you to report the post and let US deal with it. You retaliating - that only get's YOU in trouble. And there was nothing to indicate that your retalitory comments were a joke.

You have been warned more than once, you have been censured once. We have rules here, you can either abide by them, or suffer the consequences.

21. Lehigh96

There really isn't much material availble from the 18th century that is affordable. One option that ensures affordability would be Condor Tokens. The are availabe in Mint State grades for a few hundred dollars and the variety of designs is so diverse that it would be impossible not find one that you like. The upcoming Goldberg Pre-Long Beach sale has a very high end collection of Condor Tokens---over 250 lots. I suggest that you check out the catalog online.

http://www.goldbergcoins.com/currentauction/index2.shtml

The hangman Spence varieties are always popular and pretty to sell at a later time. Check these two out.

http://goldbergcoins.auctionserver.net/view-auctions/catalog/id/1/lot/141/

http://goldbergcoins.auctionserver.net/view-auctions/catalog/id/1/lot/145/

Otherwise the material that I find for you will most likely be in Good condition or below.

Draft saved Draft deleted